❀Chapter 5❀

Jess
--
I wake up to the alarming sound of my alarm clock, going off bright and early to start the day. Ever since I bought this contraption, I've wanted to rip it into a million little pieces. The only reason I bought it was to keep my sleep schedule at bay. Otherwise I would dream through the day like there was no tomorrow. Even though I don't have a problem with sleeping, I have to wake up.

You're not human if you don't like sleeping.

After thinking if I should actually get up and be a functional human being, or just lay in bed all day with no care in the world, I unfortunately chose the first one. I pushed myself out of bed, twirling my hair with my fingers as I walk over to my closet to pick out an outfit.

As usual, no different from any other day, I picked out some clothes, that taking 3 or 4 minutes. I decided on black skinny jeans, a Guns N roses T-shirt that clung to my stomach, and black vans. The occasional band bracelet or two on the side, if I'm not too lazy to get them on my wrist.

While I was getting dressed, I heard frantic screams and hysteric yelling from downstairs.

"Mom? Are you okay?" I asked, praying for some type of answer.

"Jess, come- come down here please," she shouts, trembling over her words. I don't think I've heard my mom sound so broken since the last time we were at the hospital.

As I was walking down the stairs, I could hear faint sobs growing louder as I head further down.

When I reached the last step, the living room was in view, and I saw my mother sobbing at the table, a box a tissues next to her. There were a few used tissues scattered around her. I immediately rushed to her aid, sharing comforting words and reassurance.

"Mom, tell me what happened," I said.

If something made her cry this much, it sure as hell must be very serious.

"Your father, he- he's in a coma," she said hysterically.

My hand was on her back, rubbing her, but it instantly dropped to my side. My Dad, in a coma? Impossible. He was only diagnosed 2 months ago, it's too soon. He can't die. I won't let him.

"How long does he have?" I asked.

"Not much time," she said, wiping her tears with her palm.

"The doctors said that there are better hospitals, in America. Mostly on the western side. They told us it's our best option. Go pack your stuff, our flight is tomorrow at 9 in the morning," She told me.

I can't leave! What about all my friends, and my job, and Luke! Oh my god.

Luke.

"Mom, what about Luke! I can't just leave him! He's my everything, I can't just be like, 'hey luke, you're my best friend in the entire world, but I'm leaving you for probably forever. We will be in touch,'" I said, my voice raised.

"I never said forever, now go get your things together!" Mom tells me.

Tears are freely flowing down my face as I stomp and run up the stairs. This isn't damn fair! When is life ever fair? Never. Life is a bitch. The worst of things happens to the best of people.

Thinking about leaving Luke and going across the globe makes me sick. What will he say? Me and Luke, are basically brother and sister. We do everything together. Wherever he is, I am. But, no, not today, or probably ever again.

I wipe my tears as I reach for my phone, opening imessage. I sent Luke a quick text.

To Dickhead: Get over here. Now!!

I lock my phone and threw it on my bed. I continue to sob for a few minutes until I hear someone enter my room.

"Hey Jess, what's so import- Oh crap Jess, what happened?" Luke asked, worry clearly evident in his voice.

"I'm mov- I'm movi-" I stutter.

"Say it Jess, you got this," Luke tells me.

"I'mmovingtoAmerica," I quickly say.

"I didn't catch that Jess, you're really worrying me."

"Luke, I'm moving to America," I whisper, staring into his beautiful blue eyes.

He steps back, fear and anger taking over his face.

"What- why the hell are you moving to America? The last time I checked, it's across the fucking world, Jess!" Luke yells.

"You think I want to move? There are better hospitals there, also, wait, how could I forget. Oh, um, my dad is in a freaking coma!" I yelled back to him as I stood up.

Now guilt appeared in his facial expression.

"Jess, I'm sorry I-"

"It's okay, Luke. I would've reacted the same way," I reassured him as I sat back down.

"It's just not fair," Luke said angrily.

"You're telling me," I softly laughed.

"Look, even though you're moving, I'll always be in your heart, okay? Don't ever forget that," Luke says, taking my hand and intertwining our fingers.

"How could I ever?"

Luke leans in to me and I'm confused at his actions. His lips softly press to mine and I'm aghast. It takes me a second to register the situation and I find myself kissing back.

Who would've thought that I'd be kissing my best friend?
--
Hey guys! I love you all so much! Don't forget to vote and comment! :-)