11

I sit next to Luke once I get to our next class together. Algebra.

Ironically, our teacher is Luke's mom, so things are kind of awkward.

"Hey, where have you been? You were almost late," Luke whispers to me once I sit down.

"I was helping two people in love find each other," I reply.

He raises an eyebrow. "Okay..."

I playfully roll my eyes. "I'll explain later, alright?"

He nods and turns his attention to his mother while he has a hand on my thigh. I smile and put my hand over his.

It's weird. A few weeks ago, I despised Luke Hemmings and loved Jack Hemmings. Now, it's the other way around.

I'm falling in love with Luke.

He understands me better than anyone I know. I can truly be myself around him. I trust him.

"Leia?"

I snap out of my thoughts and look up at Mrs. Hemmings.

"Yes?"

"I asked you a question," she replied.

"I'm sorry. Could you repeat it?"

She nods. "In the equation 2x^2+2x=7x+2x^2+5, what is x?"

Shit, I've always been bad at these.

"Uh, I don't know..."

"Luke?" she asks, turning towards him.

"x is -1"

I look at him wide-eyed. I never noticed that he was good at math. He didn't even need a calculator.

"Correct. Good job, Luke," she praises him.

He just nods, and Liz continues speaking.

"How did you get that?" I whisper to Luke.

"It's simple. Subtract 2x^2 on both sides, they cancel out. Next, subtract 7x on both sides, so you get -5x=5. Finally, divide both sides by -5. In the end, it's -1."

"Please tutor me," I say bluntly.

He chuckles, "Anything for you, angel."

The bell rings, and we both gather up our stuff.

"Leia?" Mrs. Hemmings calls.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Please stay behind a few minutes. I would like to have a chat with you."

I nod and look at Luke. "See you next class?" I ask.

He nods and gives me a kiss on the cheek before leaving.

After everyone leaves, I look to Liz.

"What are you doing, Leia?"

"Uh, you asked me to stay," I reply, not understanding her question.

"No, I mean with my sons. First, you're with Jack. Then, all of a sudden, you guys break up and now you're dating Luke. What exactly are you doing?" she explains.

"Look, Liz, I-"

"No. Here, you call me Mrs. Hemmings."

I nod. "Mrs. Hemmings, did Jack tell you why we broke up?"

She shakes her head. "No, but I can guess."

"What are you implying?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"You left him for Luke, right?"

"No! For your information: the last three months of mine and Jack's relationship, he was cheating on me with a woman he works with. Luke told me about it. He was there to comfort me when I needed it the most."

"What makes you so sure that that was true? How do you know Luke didn't lie to get your attention?"

Am I seriously hearing this?

"Are you serious right now? Luke wouldn't lie to me, he's made that very clear. Plus, when I went to break up with Jack, I caught him and that woman in bed together!" I reply to her.

She looks at me with a shocked expression.

"Is that what you wanted to hear? Did you want me to tell you about how your son broke my heart? Well congratulations, you got what you wanted," I say, tears starting to fill my eyes.

Before she can say anything, I ran out of the room and into the girl's bathroom. I lock myself in an empty stall and just cry.

Soon, I get a text. I look at who sent it. Luke.

Hey, angel. Where are you? I'm starting to get worried.

I smile at the text and send one back:

Sorry, had to use the bathroom.

After a few more minutes, I walk out of the bathroom, and right across the hall is Luke standing there.

"Luke? What are you doing here?"

"I knew something was wrong. I asked our teacher if I could use the bathroom."

I smile and hug him tightly.

"What's the matter, angel? You look like you've been crying," he points out as he hugs me back.

"Your mom accused me of leaving Jack to be with you. Then, I told her what really happened and all that heartache just came flooding back to me."

He kisses the top of my head. "I'll have a talk with her later."

"Thanks, Luke."

********

I can't sleep. Every time I try, I see her. That's all that's happened the past 4 years. She is the reason that I can barely sleep at night.

I grab my phone and call the one person I know I can count on.

"Hello?" he answers.

"Luke!"

"Leia? Is everything okay? It's almost 3 in the morning."

"I know, but I need you to come over."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I think it's time I tell you about my mother."

_______________________________________

Hey, guys!! Hope you all liked this chapter. It's the longest so far. So, Liz was a little rude, huh? And what do you think really happened to Leia's mother? Comment what you think and Chapter 12 will be up soon!

Also, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR OVER 2,000 READS!! That means so much to me. Thank you so much!