Chapter one

"Heh. Oh, yeah! Yes! I can't wait. I am so..." Hiccup said both awkwardly and sarcastically, as he was lifted on the crowd's shoulders. He had placed first in Dragon Training, and had won the honour of killing the Monstrous Nightmare in front of the whole village. But Hiccup knew of himself that he couldn't kill a dragon, and he wouldn't. The auburn haired boy had decided to run away. It tore his heart in two, but Hiccup knew he had no other choice. He couldn't live in both worlds. And he couldn't change the tribe's mind about dragons.

Later that day, while it was still light out. Hiccup snuck away from the party the village was throwing him. It was a fairly warm evening, but he couldn't care less. He went straight to the cove, not knowing that a certain Viking girl was following him. "LEAVING! We're leaving. Let's pack up. Looks like you and I are taking a little vacation, forever." He said. Hiccup looked around the cove, searching for Toothless, the Night Fury he shot down a few weeks ago, and befriended. But instead of finding Toothless, he was scared near to death by Astrid, who was sharpening her axe on a stone. "Aggh! What the—What are you doing here?" He asked her, a little scared of her. "I want to know what's going on. No one just gets so good as you do. Especially you. Start talking!" Astrid demanded. "Uh...Training?" He hackled. "N-no. I am leaving!" He said it a lot braver than he felt. He felt a coward for leaving his home behind. But he was a misfit, they'd probably wouldn't even know he was gone. Hiccup spotted Toothless hiding behind some of the large stones. Thank the gods, he was safe. "So go ahead, yell, tell my father what you want. Just don't come looking for me, I won't be coming back!" He said, being a whole lot more sure that his choice was the right one. He swung the basket full of supplies for his journey back over his shoulder. While Astrid was still astonished of him speaking up to her, Hiccup took his chance, and ran for Toothless. She looked alarmed when she saw the Night Fury he was running to. "HICCUP! WATCH OUT!" She yelled, but the boy seemed to ignore her. She ran after him, but was shocked when she saw his next move. He jumped on the dragon, revealing a saddle. Hiccup was going to fly the Night Fury! Astrid just stood there gaping. "Bye, Astrid." He said, before taking off, leaving Berk behind forever, or so they thought.

It now was the middle of the night, and Stoick was barking around orders, desperate to find his son. Astrid had lied to her chief, saying Hiccup was taken by the Night Fury. She didn't know why she was protecting him, it just felt the right thing to do. "Astrid, you go with the other teens." He told her. She knew it was hopeless, Hiccup was far, far away from Berk by now. Flying on the back of a Night Fury. No he wasn't a dragon killer, but he sure did a far more amazing  thing. He trained one. Just before she was about to leave, to join the pointless search, she heard Stoick mumble something. "I'll avenge that Night Fury who took my son." She knew the chief did not believe his son could still be alive, and guilt washed over her.