Finding Bai Luo Yin Chp 3

How is the length of the chapters? Too short or too long ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wide sky was a grey shade of blue when Gu Hai awoke from his sleep. He painfully slept on the roof of the building, every few minutes waking up to look over it. Gu Hai lost track of how long it's been since he saw Bai Luo Yin but he figures it might have been well nearing 24 hours now if not more.

Gu Hai's body ached and felt sore on all his muscles, and his stomach growled loudly from the lack of food. His father told him that he would have men come for him soon, but the streets are still flooded making travel difficult. Now the streets are eerily silent and there are no signs of life. It made Gu Hai wonder how many people were out there, living..breathing.. with a healthy heart beat. There had to be many. There had to be Bai Luo Yin.

Gu Hai didn't remember falling asleep last night, and perhaps he was so exhausted he unwillingly fell in and out of sleep. But when day was breaking through, Gu Hai mustered up the strength to finally get on a move. As usual he walked himself to the edge of the building, and scanned the streets for a way out.

He seemed to momentarily be stuck on this building. The water was just too high. But if need be, he would have to swim...He just did not know where to. Bai Luo Yin could be anywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bai Luo Yin slept on the couch of an older woman who was a tenant of the apartment building he seeked shelter in. She fed him rice and stew, and the food gave him the strength he didn't have earlier.

He was incredibly weak without food, water, and rest. He never considered himself to be weak, actually, his body was quite resilient to pain and illness. Maybe it was the worry that caused his immune system to fall apart like this.

When he woke up, the old woman was patting the sweat from his forehead with a damp rag. The gesture surprised him, making him jump until he realized what was happening. His heart softened of confusion but hardened in regret.

"Oh, sorry..." He said and sucked his lips in. He sat up from the couch, and looked around the room. It was small, the walls were dirty, and the old furniture was covered in dust. However, Bai Luo Yin wasn't a type of person to judge those things or even give it a second thought.

"Bai Luo Yin, I need your assistance. You are the only young man on this building, and the only strong one at that... There are many people who are hurt on the other floors, and I need to bring them here." Bai Luo Yin looked at her. Her pleading eyes were genuine.

"To here, why?"

"I was a nurse during my youth. I keep a safe aid kit since this is the Typhoon area." Bai Luo Yin took in a deep breath and nodded. He's never had a responsibility this big," There are many people hurt." She held both of his hands in her own and nodded a seal of approval.

Bai Luo Yin quickly went down through the floors, and knocked on the individual apartment doors. A lot had people in them, but more were empty. The people that were in them explained that the evucation squad did not reach their building in time, or they simply could not go for various reasons. Some were hurt, bleeding and weak from illness. It was only 24 hours since the Typhoon, but many of them were suffering from dehydration already and haven't had a meal. Bai Luo Yin carried the children and the woman to the apartment, and assisted the men up the stairs. It was a difficult task for him to do since the elevators were broken. He felt that while he was fortunate enough to heal from his temporary sickness, he would suffer from it again at this rate.

Bai Luo Yin made the lasts of his "rounds" , completely drained of his energy and his arms were sore from bending. When he entered the apartment, he collapsed onto the couch with his arms spread and his feet sore. The old woman walked towards him on the couch, and handed him a glass of water and said drink.

Bai Luo Yin has become more comfortable now accepting things like food and water from her, maybe because he's not in a position to be uncomfortable or maybe it was because she had a gentle enough soul that could warm anyone's heart.

"Ma'am, " Bai Luo Yin said. He cleared his throat and pushed his fingers through his hair, that hasn't been brushed and was now messy,"When..... Will someone come?"

She sat beside him on the couch and patted his thigh. Bai Luo Yin watched her hand, then slowly looked into her eyes. She reminded him of his grand mother in some ways. However, she couldn't speak words to him. She could not tell him when the rescue squad will come, she could only grant him with her support. Bai Luo Yin easily understood that.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Gu Hai searched through each room of the building, in a desperate attempt to find water. None of the few faucets he found released water, making him become and more fustrated with each faucet he tried. His throat was aching and dry, and his stomach felt empty. As he went further through the building, he felt personally responsible for the situation he and Bai Luo Yin were in. He had only wanted to spend a few days alone with him, and now they were separated.

As he continued to look, Gu Hai heard a suspicious sound. Gu Hai quickly turned around to try to discover the exact source of what sounded like people talking. The room was empty so he ran out quickly, despite the ground being covered in rocks and trash. The voices got louder, until he reached the source.

Three men faced Gu Hai, and approached him.

"Are you hurt, anywhere?" Gu Hai shook his head. If he were, he didn't know.

"How did you get in here?" Gu Hai asked.

"We've been going around the area with a boat, trying to find any one that's hurt." Gu Hai looked at them carefully. They weren't dressed in uniform, just simply black. They were just citizens.

"A boat? " Gu Hai felt hope rise to his heart," I am looking for someone that I believe may still be alive, I can repay you in any amount if you help me look."