Hamlet: Gertrude and Ophelia

Gertrude and Ophelia are weak characters, who do not deserve our sympathy. Discuss.

In the play, "Hamlet," by William Shakespeare, two seemingly weak characters are portrayed. These two women, Gertrude and Ophelia, are not depicted as weak throughout the entirety of the play. In the case of Gertrude, she is shown to be sinful and disloyal, whereas Ophelia is frail, innocent, and the most prominent victim.

Ophelia, daughter of Polonius and sister of Laertes, is often perceived as a pathetic character, who deserves no, or little sympathy, due to her weakness. In Act I Scene III, when Laertes advises Ophelia to hold Hamlet's love, "A fashion and a toy in blood," she tries to insist that she will continue to see him. However, when confronted with Polonius, she becomes weak against him, and he persuades her to stop seeing Hamlet. She is submissive, and says, "I shall obey, my lord," Furthermore, Ophelia agrees to help her father, and consequently Claudius, by spying on Hamlet. In Act III Scene I she avoids answering Hamlet's question, "Are you honest?" truthfully. His harsh words to her, "Get thee to a nunnery," leave a lasting impression on Ophelia, and drive her to insanity, exposing her frailty.

Despite Ophelia's lack of will, she acts in such ways to either fulfil her filial duty to Polonius, or for Hamlet's well-being. The disease and corruption that resides in Elsinore ultimately breaks her, and her purity. However weak she is portrayed, she deserves sympathy for the tough choices she has to make between helping her family, or Hamlet.

On the other hand, Gertrude is presented as a sinful woman. Although she shows maternal care by securing Hamlet as next in line to the throne, it costs her dearly. Hamlet, in turn, becomes outraged by his mother's swift actions, ranting that, "A beast that wants discourse of reason would have mourned longer," Gertrude hurries into marriage after the recent death of her husband, not out of love, but out of personal gain. The only way for Gertrude to remain, "The imperial jointress," and to maintain some power, is through Claudius. She is weak against his, "Gifts," for the majority of the play, which makes it difficult to sympathise with her.

Gertrude's disloyalty to Hamlet's father, in Hamlet's view, is disgraceful. It causes Hamlet much pain, and pushes him to anger frequently. In Act III Scene IV, Hamlet's forceful words create some sympathy for Gertrude. She is brought to some realisation, though reluctantly. She shows her feelings of guilt, as she is unwilling to face the, "Black and grained spots," that have tainted her soul. However, Gertrude becomes ever more protective over Claudius, and even steps in front of him, in order to save him from Laertes wrath. In Gertrude's last moments, she shows some strength by countering Claudius and his wishes for her to, "Not drink," out of the, "Poisoned chalice," Despite this last act of defiance, it is not enough to grant her character sympathy.

In, "Hamlet," Shakespeare depicts two different women, Gertrude and Ophelia. Ophelia's frailty and innocence, combined with the poisoned surroundings of Denmark, makes her a weak character. However, as she struggles to fulfil her filial duty and maintain her affection for Hamlet, sympathy must be felt. In contrast, Gertrude does not deserve sympathy, as she is weak in a different way to Ophelia. Gertrude lacks the qualities Ophelia offers, and is portrayed as a sinful woman, who is weak against Claudius. Although Gertrude gradually breaks away from Claudius and his control, it is not enough to create sympathy for her.