Short Story: Photographs

2009 Leaving Certificate English Paper I -
Write a short story in which a photograph, or a set of photographs, plays a part in the plot.
Your story may be prompted by one or more of the photographs in TEXT 3.

The sky was tinged the colour of pale clementines, and the golden sand blended into the horizon. Alex was sat on a rock at the edge of the blue sea, watching the water lap at his feet below him. "Three, two, one...smile!" Daniel counted down slowly, twisting the instant camera around to take a picture of him and his best friend. Alex groaned and turned his head away from the lens, shrugging Daniel's arm off his shoulder.

The photo slid out of the small slot of the camera, revealing a grinning Daniel, but a blurry Alex. "Come on! I never want to forget this," Daniel sighed, determined to take another picture.

"Why are you so obsessed with taking photos?" Alex was held firmly by Daniel, who pressed down on the camera quickly.

Satisfied, Daniel turned to face his friend. "Everyone's obsessed with something. Why can't I be with recording memories?"

Alex's grip tightened on the photograph, as if it would bring back his best friend in some miraculous way. It was the photographs that destroyed him the most, each one like a papercut. Alex thought that once the initial shock was over, pain would not follow, but like a persistent wasp, it did. He didn't think about clearing up the apartment they shared, or packing away Daniel's belongings, or the pang of melancholy it would bring. Alex placed the photograph to one side, carefully grasping another out of the box Daniel had labelled, 'best moments'. Alex smiled softly at Daniel's doodles on the side of the otherwise plain cardboard box.

"One day you'll thank me for taking these photographs!" Daniel mocked Alex, who forgot to bring his own camera on their trip to Cork. It was a stifling summer day, the heat was killing, and as it grew darker, the countryside paths emptied like sand in an hourglass. They walked together around the clear lake, its edge littered with the reflection of trees. Alex complained about his university fees, and Daniel reassured his friend that the situation would resolve itself naturally, pausing to take a snapshot of the scenery.

Alex furrowed his brow as he tried to recall what else happened that day. He clenched his fists in frustration. He glanced back at the photo dismally, feeling guilty. Alex was positive that there was something more to that day, but his memory failed him. What sort of best friend couldn't even place a mere photo? Alex sighed and picked the digital camera out of the clutter of photographs in the box. He pressed down on the button and the screen lit up. Alex chewed his thumbnail in anticipation. The last photo that was taken popped up on the screen; it was Alex's own hand.

"I'm not in the mood for a picture, Daniel," Alex huffed, blocking his friend's lens with his hand.

"You've got to have the photo 'I just got fired from my first job'. You'll want to look back at how stupid you were for being upset about it!" Daniel smirked, but lowered his arm nonetheless.

"This isn't some sort of joke! This job was paying for my rent!"

"Our rent, Alex, and stop panicking about it! We'll sort something out,"

"You keep telling me that it'll be okay, but you've got to be more realistic," Alex stopped, narrowed his eyebrows and locked eyes with his friend. Daniel rolled his eyes. "If you're going to be like this, I'm going home. I'll see you later,"

Alex stood up abruptly, grasping the photographs as if they were the finishing puzzle pieces. An old jacket hung over the side of the banister, and Alex swung it around his shoulders, tucking the photographs safely into one of the pockets. If he had known that it was the last conversation they would ever have, Alex wouldn't have been angry about losing his job, nor would he have been annoyed about his friend taking a photograph. Only a few minutes after Daniel left, two cars collided, Alex received a harrowing phone call, and tears began to uncontrollably slide down his face.

He trudged isolated and alone to the cemetery. The cemetery should have been a spooky place, yet in the mid-morning light under a cloudless sky, the air fragrant with pine needles; it felt more like the park on a Sunday afternoon to Alex. There were a few mourners scattered around the area, but Alex did not venture too near them. Alex had taken the route only a few times before, but still knew the way off by heart. The newest gravestones were always placed at the back corner of the cemetery.

Whenever Alex was comforted by a family member, they never failed to remind him that loss would become easier with time, yet it wasn't the truth. Instead, for Alex, the spaces between the times that he missed Daniel grew longer. Then, when he remembered to miss Daniel again, Alex looked at the photographs, which still slashed his heart, and still overwhelmed him with guilt.

That was what broke the dam of tears. Alex gulped at the sight of Daniel's grave, his best friend's name carved into stone, along with the two dates that now defined him. It was difficult to think about the loss of his best friend, and even harder to accept it. Alex sat by the slab of stone which represented the last of Daniel, and took out the photographs, sniffing and wiping his eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Daniel... I should have smiled more. I wish I hadn't been so angry, and I just wish that you hadn't driven home," Alex's voice cracked and softened to less than a whisper, until it blended into the air. The breeze became stronger, the cold harsh and biting, so Alex shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket. His right hand brushed against another slip of glossy paper, and he pulled it out. Alex clasped his hand over his mouth. It was a much older photo, when they were only children.

"Happy birthday Daniel!" Alex grinned. "Open your present, but don't shake the box, okay?" Daniel nodded, carefully unpicking the sellotape from the patterned wrapping paper. Alex watched his friend, giddy with excitement, knowing that Daniel was going to love the gift inside.

Daniel caught a glimpse of the contents and glanced up at Alex. "No way!" Daniel exclaimed, pulling Alex into a tight hug, his arms over the other's shoulders. Alex laughed, trying to pry away from Daniel's grip. "Do you like it then?"

"Of course I do, you know how long I've wanted a camera!" Daniel delicately handled his brand new camera, figuring out how to use it quickly. "Say cheese!" Daniel tugged Alex into the shot, and both grinned cheerfully.

"I'm sorry that it's not the right colour. I know you really wanted green, but all they had was red..." Alex trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. Daniel chuckled. "It doesn't matter, it's amazing," He briefly looked at his friend and laughed again. "Don't worry; I'm not mad at you! I couldn't have asked for anything better," Daniel smiled sincerely.

"I'm glad you liked the present Daniel," Alex croaked, laying the photographs on the ground next to the gravestone, weighing them in place with a large pebble. He gulped and took a deep breath. Alex longed to stay with his best friend, but for the first time in months, he didn't feel bad about leaving. Alex walked away from Daniel, the dewy grass crunching under his feet. When he reached the familiar gate of the cemetery, he waved goodbye, and proceeded to step forward.