Short Story: A Case of Mistaken Identity

Write a short story involving a case of mistaken identity

Captain R. Hulbert Dadd

B Company, 5th Machine Gun Battalion

16 Rue Cassini

Paris

Mme Olivier 28/05/1918

37 Rue Papin

Murat

Auvergne

Dear Mme L. Olivier,

I regret very much to inform you that your husband, Pte. A.C. Olivier, No. 88521 of this Company was killed in action on the night of the 25th May.

The Company was taking part in an attack and your husband's gun team was one of these which advanced against the enemy. The attack was successful, and all soldiers reached and established new positions. Later in the night the enemy shelled our lines and one shell fell on your husband's gun killing him and wounding a comrade.

It was impossible to get his remains away and he lies in a soldier's grave where he fell.

I and all the Company deeply sympathise with you in your loss. Your husband always did his duty and has given his life for his country. We all honour him, and I trust you will feel some consolation in remembering this.

In true sympathy,

Captain R. Hulbert Dadd

It had been five long years since Lacy received this letter, yet she could still recite it without hesitation. After Lacy found out about the tragic death of her husband, Adrien, she was left distraught, poor, and alone. No-one knew why the wealthiest man in the village wanted her hand in marriage, or liked her in the first place. It didn't make sense. If you didn't have the money, you didn't exist, but Marc made an exception for Lacy. Marc quickly fell in love, and proposed. Lacy had different ideas, but her parents shared Marc's enthusiasm for them to marry, and she said yes after much persuasion. They had been 'happily' married ever since.

Lacy followed the raindrops with her fingers and traced their patterns as they fell on the window. It was April, a stereotypically rainy month, which was living up to its expectations. As she looked down on the markets surrounding the manor, she saw people running for shelter under the stalls with flimsy, fabric roofs. Some gathered their produce and made a dash for the nearest tree, while some lucky people came prepared with umbrellas, and simply used them for shelter. Only a few stayed out, not fazed by the sudden downpour. Of these few she couldn't help but notice a familiar face, staring right back at her. He was wearing a dark trench coat, with a matching bowler hat. His features were indistinguishable, except for his hazel eyes, as the shadows covered him well.

The man had found what he was looking for, and made his way towards the manor in the torrential weather. Most people he had asked for directions to the luxury home from had remembered him, and evaded him. Although he was unsure why he received such a cold reaction, or why he had been glared at, he wasn't here for a malicious purpose, yet. It was none of their business, and after all, he didn't come to make niceties, he was here to see Lacy.

Lacy turned away from the window, and forced herself to steady her breathing, in an attempt to stop panicking. Her eyes darted around the room, trying to make sense of what she saw. To convince herself that she did not see that man she looked out the window again. Lacy sighed with relief as no such man could be seen anymore. This left her with the conclusion that she was now going insane, and seeing things. Hastily, she left the room and continued to calm herself down by making a cup of tea. Tea was quickly becoming her remedy to everything, and she frequently drank it throughout each day to steady any nerves or to offer comfort.