Poetry: John Donne

"John Donne uses startling imagery and wit in his exploration of relationships," Give your response to the poetry of John Donne in the light of this statement.

John Donne's wit is deliberate and peculiar. It impresses us with its intellectual vigour and force, and does not merely lie in the dexterous or ingenious use of words. Secondly, it comes naturally from the author's expansive knowledge and deep scholarship, which is apparent through his variety of approaches to the exploration of relationships. Donne's relationships with women, God, and even himself are elucidated by unexpected and startling imagery, several tones, and witty arguments characteristic of metaphysical poets.

John Donne's exploration of his relationship with women is highly personal and involves the universal theme of love. In a great deal of the poems on the course, the drama, power, and freshness of Donne's language relay the passion at the heart of his romantic relationships. This style is evident in, "The Sun Rising," The poet employs various striking and witty images to convey his emotions. "Busy old fool, unruly sun / Why dost thou thus / Through windows, and through curtains call on us," Donne's use of personification to mischievously chide and insult the sun is a witty image. He continues to explore the relationship with his lover. "Whether both th' Indias of spice and mine / Be where thou left'st them, or lie here with me," I find this analogy of love to be particularly innovative and inventive. He dismisses the wonder of the wider worlds and states that all that is amazing and wonderful in the world lies in the intimate space occupied by the lovers.

John Donne also uses unexpected and daring imagery to examine aspects of his relationship with God. For instance, in his poem, "Batter My Heart, Three Person'd God," Donne converses directly with God in language that is at times as shocking as it is forceful in order to express his desire for salvation and atonement for his sins. Donne compares God to a sculptor repairing a damaged good, and he chastises God because he simply, "Knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend," This language is unusual, but is not too startling, however, this changes in the latter part of the poem. This is followed by a series of urgent demands, which insist that God, "Break, blow, burn," him. Donne longs for God to help him become faultless, and to be washed of his sins.

Often, John Donne uses juxtaposition of religious symbols with passionate and overtly sexual language, which can be surprising, or even shocking, because it is so unexpected and incongruous. The final metaphor in the poem, "Batter My Heart, Three Person'd God," is incredibly startling. Describing himself as being, "Betrothed unto [God's] enemy," Donne demands that God, "Divorce [him], untie or break that knot again," The imagery used is linked to marriage, and is extended to the final couplet. Although John Donne is exploring his relationship with God, it is nonetheless disturbing to me to see imagery generally associated with sexual violence in a greatly religious poem. "Except you enthral me, never shall be free / Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me," The paradox that the speaker needs to submit to God's will in order to be free, is at the heart of Donne's relationship with God, and is captured in this final astonishing image.

Although John Donne has the capability to shock through more harsh imagery, his wit startles the reader in a gentler manner. "Song: Go and Catch a Falling Star," appears jovial, and light, but has severe undertones of insecurity, vulnerability and passive aggression. In this poem, Donne uses his wit to investigate his relationship with women. This poem relies on a number of funny images to highlight the extent to which Donne mistrusts women. Using hyperbolic and intellectual language, he advises the reader to set out on tasks involving mythical creatures, such as, "Mermaids," and, "Mandrakes," and to look at things, "Invisible to see," These are impossible to complete and this adds to the amusing nature of this poem, because it is difficult to take the poet seriously.

"At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners," is an extremely candid and honest poem, which makes it simultaneously disturbing and jarring. The beginning of the poem delivers a striking and alarming image of angels summoning all the souls of mankind to judgement. "Arise, arise / From death, you numberless infinities / Of souls," In contrast to this haunting image, Donne provides us with an aspect of wit through the title itself. The poem continues with authentic, often uncomfortable insights into his struggles and the perception he has of himself. He is self-deprecating with regards to himself, and devalues his humanity. Donne presents himself as a supplicant, "Here on lowly ground," who repents and begs in a sycophantic and obsequious disposition. In this way, John Donne explores his relationship with both God and himself through startling imagery and wit.

Through the poem, "Thou Hast Made me, and Shall Thy Work Decay?" John Donne expresses his guilt and his intense desire for forgiveness. Similarly to his other divine sonnets, Donne addresses God directly, again as a supplicant, and suggests the possibility of salvation. John Donne, "Dare not move [his] dim eyes," from God, because he has a genuine terror that the devil will take the opportunity to damn him to an eternity in hell. The sins that he has amounted during the course of his lifetime scare him just as much as his impending death. This remarkable sense of self-awareness is extraordinarily honest, and explores his relationship with God. The last lines, a rhyming couplet, provide him with a solution. "Thy Grace may wing me to prevent his art / And thou like adamant draw mine iron heart," This fitting image of being drawn up to heaven like a magnet accurately depicts his wish to join God in heaven.

From the combination of shocking and startling imagery employed by Donne to explore his relationship with God, and the passionate, heartfelt and oftentimes witty examinations of romantic relationships, John Donne provides the reader with a unique quality to his poetry.