Poetry: John Keats

The poetry of John Keats expresses extreme emotions through the use of nature imagery. Discuss.

John Keats expresses extreme emotions such as terror, isolation, and fear, through his poetry. These extreme emotions originate from the inevitability of death and the passage of time, which brings with it change.

John Keats uses imagery of nature to convey his powerful emotions. He longs for a life of permanence, but knows he cannot obtain it due to the disadvantages of solitude. In, "Bright Star, Would I Were Steadfast as Thou Art," Keats creates an image of an isolated star gazing down on, "Snow upon the mountains and the moors," which he finds desirable. He wants to freeze a moment, where the beauty of nature can be maintained forever.

John Keats' melancholy is also addressed in his poem, "To Autumn," The poem demonstrates the changing of the seasons, from autumn through winter. Again, Keas identifies with the magnificence of nature, to contrast his negative emotions. He uses nature imagery with, "Mellow fruitfulness," and, "Fill all fruit with ripeness to the core," to imply the richness in life that nature can offer. As the poem continues, however, Keats suggests a transition to winter with migrating birds. "Gathering swallows twitter in the skies," The seasons represent the cycle of life, and Keats uses nature to illustrate how little time he had left, and how morbid he feels about his imminent death.

One of Keats' most extreme emotions is the terror of not achieving success before he dies. He fears that he," May cease to be," and confides with the reader. He longs to complete his work of poetry, "My pen had gleaned my teeming brain, before high-piled books," Keats feels as though he will meet his end before he had even begun. He looks at the, "Night's starred face," and contemplates on his own life. He believes that he will lose the true beauty of nature.

Keats explores what an idealistic, dream-like world would be like in, "La Belle Dame Sans Merci," However; it is all in his imagination. He writes, "The sedge has withered from the lake, and no birds sing," This suggests Keats feeling of loneliness in what is actually a never-ending nightmare. His repetition of the beginning stanza only enforces the entrapment Keats is experiencing. The harsh, cold of winter demonstrates Keats extreme emotions.

John Keats uses nature to express his extremely pessimistic emotions. His fears come to life through his poetry through the use of imagery and language, especially concerning nature.