Poetry: Gerard Manley Hopkins

The language of Hopkins' poems is often quite striking, although his themes and imagery are relatively simple. Discuss.

In Gerard Manley Hopkins' poems, language is used in such a way that it is striking to read. He uses different techniques to covey his simple themes and imagery. Hopkins also incorporates semi-private language, alliteration, and rhyming often in his poetry, which creates an evocative image for the reader.

In the poem, "Spring," Hopkins uses a striking statement for his opening line. "Nothing is so beautiful as Spring," It is a confident line, given as though it is a fact. There is an emphasis on the words, "Nothing," and, "Beautiful," which instantly represents the celebration of life and energy, which spring brings with it. The frequent alliteration adds to the extremity and conviction in the poem, "Rush...richness...racing," This language technique gives the octave a hectic momentum, which strikes the reader. The colours used, such as the, "Blue," in the sky only reinforce the initial idea of the poem; that spring is beautiful. The first line of the sestet, however, contrasts the beauty, and questions it in a troubled manner. This causes the reader to reflect, and listen to Hopkins' preaching. Since his poetry relates to prayer. The rhythm of the poem is purposely slowed, firstly by the question, and then by the following line, "Strain of the earth's sweet being in the beginning," Gerard Manley Hopkins suggests that the earth's sweetness arises from spring and begins with it, because it is the most beautiful time of the year in his view. His use of rhythm creates reflection and the question conveys the relatively simple imagery of the beauty of spring.

However, in, "The Windhover," Hopkins dedicates the first few lines of the octave to imagery. He tries to recreate the flight and movement of the bird as it soars and hunts in the sky. Once again, Hopkins uses alliteration to assist his themes and imagery, and to create a striking emotion. Gerard Manley Hopkins also employs various sound effects, such as rhyming and repetition to stress his vision of the bird. The sestet preceding the octave is more focussed on reflection and his wonder of the creature. Several of Hopkins' poems are written either to God or about God and religion. He imagines the creator of this amazing, beautiful bird has to be, "A billion / Times told lovelier, more dangerous," This is a reference to God, and Hopkins clearly displays his admiration towards God, and his dedication to Christianity. Although religion is a relatively simple theme, Hopkins uses language devices to illustrate a striking message with a strong sense of devotion.

Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem, "Pied Beauty," expresses simply, in the first line, the central theme of the poem. "Glory to be God for dappled things," Hopkins believes that all glory belongs to God. He uses colourful language to capture the essence of God's creations in life. His imagery is multi-coloured, with, "Skies of couple-colour," and speckles like, "Rose-moles," on a swimming trout. Hopkins' distinctive use of sound is very evident in this poem, particularly when four stresses of juxtaposition without a break are used in, "Swift, slow, sweet, sour," In the final line of the poem, Hopkins again turns back to God with, "Praise him," His striking choice of language gives rise to his themes and imagery.

Although Hopkins' themes and imagery are relatively simple, his language is not, and it often proves to be striking. The clever use of alliteration, repetition, and rhyming makes his poetry unique and captivating.