Hamlet: Polonius

Discuss the role of Polonius in the play, "Hamlet,"

Polonius plays a key role in William Shakespeare's, "Hamlet," He has a profound effect on several characters, including his two children, Laertes and Ophelia, Hamlet, and Claudius. He also conveys the theme of corruption, and spreads id through Denmark.

Polonius inflicts on Laertes his own views, which changes how Laertes thinks. The influence Polonius holds over him enforces his manipulative role in the play. Polonius believes that, "The apparel oft proclaims the man," and Laertes too believes this. However, unlike Laertes, Ophelia is used by Polonius. His control over Ophelia leaves her with no other choice but to, "Obey, my lord," Polonius acts as a barrier between Hamlet and Ophelia's relationship, convincing her that Hamlet is a, "Prince out of star," Furthermore, Ophelia's filial loyalty is taken advantage of by Polonius when he forces her to take part in spying on Hamlet, to further his position in court. Polonius' role breaks Hamlet and Ophelia apart, leading them both to tragic ends.

Polonius and the theme of corruption go hand in hand. His role in Hamlet as Claudius' advisor causes his corruption to grow. He is complimented by Claudius as, "A man faithful and honourable," which only encourages Polonius to believe these words. In fact, Polonius is hypocritical, and gives advice that he does not follow. In his last piece of advice to his son, Laertes, he says, "To thine own self be true," yet Polonius does not live by this. Polonius is not a character who can offer liable advice, due to the extent of his exploitation of others. He is only concerned with pleasing Claudius for political advancement and personal gain. He orchestrates many plans to spy on both Laertes and Hamlet, which illustrates his distrusting nature.

On the other hand, Polonius can be viewed as the character that provides the play with comic relief. His self-absorbed, long-winded, and dull personality creates humour in some of the darkest moments of the play. In Act II Scene II, when one of the players delivers a heart-wrenching speech about Priam's death, Polonius interrupts to say, "This is too long," indicating boredom. Hamlet also assists Polonius with comic relief, and exposes Polonius as a confused, old man, rather than a deceptive one. Hamlet deliberately misinterprets Polonius' questions, "What do you read my lord," and, "What is the matter?" to which Hamlet replies with, "Words, words, words," and, "Between who?" Polonius' persistence to converse with the seemingly insane Hamlet provides the play with humour.

Polonius' role in Hamlet influences the play and the characters greatly. He causes friction between Hamlet and Ophelia, by forcing her to end their relationship. Polonius is the stereotypical, distrusting, and aloof person in Elsinore. He gives false words of guidance to Laertes, which in no way he follows himself. In being true to his personality, all Polonius does is act as a catalyst of the events of madness and suicide which claims his daughter, causes the death of his son, and leads to his own ignominious death and murder.