Hamlet: Claudius's Power Struggles

"Claudius's relationships with other characters can be seen primarily as power struggles which prove crucial to the outcome of the play," Discuss this statement with reference to the play Hamlet.

Claudius's relationships with other characters are primarily power struggles, which prove crucial to the outcome of the play. Throughout the play, Claudius and Hamlet fight over who is in control, with both trying to dominate the relationship in one way or another. However, many of Claudius's interactions with other characters are simply him manipulating them. Perhaps the only sincere relationship Claudius has in the play is with his new wife, Gertrude. Claudius relationships, although they can be primarily seen as power struggles, are more detailed, and prove crucial to the outcome of the play.

Although Hamlet, as the main character, has a profound impact on the resolution of the play, his motive is influenced greatly by Claudius, and their power struggle. Hamlet's main antagonist is Claudius, a shrewd, lustful, conniving man, who is not the rightful king of Denmark. Hamlet's relationship with Claudius is certainly troubled from the beginning as Hamlet and Claudius regard each other with such deep suspicion. Hamlet detests Claudius for marrying Gertrude, merely, "Two months," after his father's death, and suspects that Claudius had killed his father for the throne. Hamlet attempts to take control of the situation, and so does Claudius, particularly in Act III Scene II. In this scene, the two confront each other through their words. Claudius asks, "Do you know the plot? Is there anything offensive in it?" to which Hamlet replies, "No, no, it's just a joke, a little jibe but all in good fun. Not offensive at all," It is at this point that Claudius realises that Hamlet knows of his, "Foul and most unnatural murder," They taunt back and forth, each struggling to establish power over the other. In this way, Claudius impacts the outcome of the play because of his desire to maintain his power over Hamlet.

More often than not, Claudius's relationships with other characters are domineering and manipulative. Claudius' main weapon is his manipulative nature, which he uses often to affect the plot and its outcome. Claudius spends so much time trying to find the cause of Hamlet's madness that he also manipulates Polonius to spy on Hamlet, while using his daughter, Ophelia, as bait. Due to this confrontation, the relationship between Hamlet and Ophelia is completely shattered when she recites a blatantly learnt off speech. Hamlet cuts her off, "Ha, ha, are you honest?" and instantly marks her as untrustworthy. Moreover, Claudius convinces Polonius to listen to the conversation between Gertrude and Hamlet, for his benefit. This leads to the death of Polonius and the reconcilement between Gertrude and Hamlet. To remain in control, Claudius uses his intelligence to take advantage of this opportunity by constructing a scheme to send Hamlet to England. "For that which thou hast done-must send thee hence / With fiery quickness ... For England," Claudius continues his power struggle with Hamlet whilst manipulating others, which contributes vitally to the outcome of the play.

Claudius uses his power for personal gain, which shapes the final scenes of the play. He uses people such as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to get what he wants. Both of these characters are devoted to Claudius, in a sycophantic manner, but they receive nothing in return. Claudius summons Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to Elsinore, so that under the guise of friendship, they can investigate Hamlet's madness, which is merely an, "Antic disposition," The two, "Both obey," and, "Lay our services freely at your feet, to be commanded," Their loyalty to Claudius breaks their trust with Hamlet. They interrogate Hamlet and report back to Claudius, even though they admit to Hamlet of their liaison with Claudius. Claudius also manages to convert potential enemies into allies in moments of danger. Laertes, in a similar position to Hamlet, confronts Claudius, saying, "Let come what comes, only I'll be revenged / Most thoroughly for my father," after he hears of his Polonius's death. Claudius easily uses Laertes by exploiting his desperate need to prove that he is, "His father's son indeed - more than in words," In this way, Claudius gains Laertes's trust, and furthermore, persuades him to play a part in Hamlet's murder in the final scene. Claudius's relationships with these characters are less of a power struggle and more of a manipulation, so that he can get what he wants, hence, affecting the outcome of the play immensely.

Claudius influences the outcome of the play from the moment he kills his brother through a power struggle, and consequently marries Gertrude. His relationship with Gertrude seems to be sincere throughout the play. Hamlet acts on Claudius' decisions, and is especially disturbed by Claudius's relationship with his mother. Claudius especially impacts the relationship between Hamlet and Gertrude. He lures Gertrude into marriage using, according to the Ghost, the "Witchcraft of his wit, with traitorous gifts- / O wicked wit and gifts, that have the power / So to seduce!" Their hasty marriage provokes Hamlet, who claims that, "A beast that wants discourse of reason would have mourned longer," Claudius is a barrier between the two, and turns Hamlet against his own mother, causing him to act angrily towards her in Act III Scene IV. Although there is little evidence that Claudius's love for Gertrude is fake, it also seems likely that he married her as a strategic move, to help him secure the throne from Hamlet after the death of the king. In Gertrude's last moments, she shows some strength by defying Claudius and his wishes for her to, "Not drink," out of the, "Poisoned chalice," Despite this last hint of a power struggle between the two, Claudius did not save her, and instead prioritises his ambition. His relationship with Gertrude causes Hamlet to act, and therefore affects the outcome of the play greatly.

Claudius is a well-spoken, corrupt, and persuasive character, whose relationships prove crucial to the final outcome of the play. His relationship with Hamlet is clearly a power struggle, while his relationship with Gertrude is not primarily a power struggle. He also manipulates multiple characters to help him in his plot to ultimately kill Hamlet. However, his continuous exploitation of others results in his own death, and is critical to the outcome of the play.