Hamlet: Relationships and Values

Hamlet's relationships with other characters prove critical in shaping our understanding of his values.

Hamlet is one of the most complex characters in literature. From his friendships with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to his tense relationship with his mother and Claudius, it is clear that these contribute to shaping Hamlet's core values. These relationships with other characters are crucial to gain an understanding of what Hamlet values, and what he does not.

Ophelia's relationship with Hamlet is crucial in shaping our understanding of what he was like, and what he valued before his father's death. He was a renaissance man and embraced renaissance values. He had a love of learning, was the embodiment of beauty, and despite what he says of himself, he was seen by others as being courageous. Equally, his reaction to what he perceives as her betrayal is extremely significant in understanding key aspects of his subsequent actions and values. When he bumps into her while carrying while carrying, "Remembrances," of his that she has, "Longed to redeliver," Hamlet's imagination, something he freely admits is, "As foul as Vulcan's stithy," begins to conjure up a distorted image of Ophelia. This distortion of what Ophelia really is helps us to understand what Hamlet values most. Once again, the heated and perhaps over-exaggerated nature of his reaction reveals the degree to which the man is haunted by the idea that no-one, not even the woman he loves with all, "Holy vows heaven" is honest. In his eyes she is little more than liar who has like, so many other people in his life, prostituted herself on the altar of self-preservation. Hamlet's reaction to what he perceives as her disloyalty reveals to us that he values honesty, truth and what might be termed as moral beauty.

Interestingly, many of the critical insights we gain into Hamlet's character from his relationship with Ophelia, can only be fully understood in the light of his relationship with Gertrude. Horror and disgust at his mother's behaviour, and a spreading and deepening of that horror to include all life, dominates the soul of Hamlet. Hamlet loves his mother dearly and from the first moments they appear together on stage, it is clear that they must have once had a deeply loving and respectful relationship. When Claudius fails to convince Hamlet of the need to stay in Denmark, Gertrude manages to acquire a, "Gentle and unforced accord," from her son, revealing that Hamlet does value his relationship with his mother. However, her marriage with Claudius damages their relationship immensely. The fact that only, "Two months," after his father's death, Gertrude was, "With witchcraft of his wit, with traitorous gifts [...] won to his shameful lust," into an, "O'erhasty marriage," Hamlet becomes enraged by his mother's behaviour, saying, "A beast that wants discourse of reason would have mourned longer," This unhealthy anger caused by Gertrude renders Hamlet depressed, cynical, violent, and skews his view of Ophelia. His entire relationship with Gertrude proves critical in understanding why Hamlet values loyalty and family so much.

Hamlet's relationship with Polonius reveals a number of key values about his character. In his interactions with the, "Foolish prating knave," Hamlet reveals his comic genius, his potential for ruthless action, his distaste for dishonesty, and disgust at sycophancy. Again and again, Hamlet mocks Polonius in order to reveal his fawning sycophancy. During one particularly comic encounter, Hamlet forces Polonius to agree that a cloud that initially is, "In the shape of a camel" could somehow instantly be transformed into the shape of a, "Weasel," and then suddenly a, "Whale!" Similarly, during Hamlet's interactions with Osric, he agrees with any request consideration and regardless of the ridiculousness of the request. Hamlet highlights the man's insincerity by repeatedly asking him to take off and then put back on his hat. As with so many of Hamlet's other relationships in the play, his interactions with Polonius and Osric demonstrate the degree to which he values truth and is repulsed by lies.

Hamlet's relationship with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is similar. They value self-advancement above friendship. Hamlet reacts to their disloyalty in a ruthless fashion. Initially, he is delighted to see them, but despite encouraging them, "To be even and direct," with him, they fail do so. For Hamlet, these two represent the corruption of values such as friendship and loyalty that has become part of life in Claudius's Elsinore. In fact, he says as much to them when he explains that the world has lost its beauty to him. Due to the actions of people like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, the world for Hamlet has become a, "Foul and pestilent congregation of vapours," This olfactory image reveals the degree to which their disloyalty has a tangible presence for Hamlet. Furthermore, the breakdown of Hamlet's relationship with these school friends is crucial in understanding the degree to which he feels utterly isolated and alone. When the relationship has soured beyond repair and Hamlet is aware of their, "Practices," and that they, "Must sweep [his] way and marshal [him] to knavery," he reacts in a pitilessly cold fashion. The importance of Hamlet's relationship with this pair lies in the fact that it helps us understand why he becomes so ruthless in the second half of the play, and reveals just how much he values loyalty.

Hamlet's relationship with Horatio is entirely different. What Hamlet most values most in Horatio is his loyalty and truthfulness. Horatio has proven his loyalty to Hamlet by recounting the events of the Ghost's arrival to him rather than seeking self-advancement by going to Claudius. He recognises Horatio as a kindred spirit and values his friendship, knowing that he can trust him. He sees Horatio as balanced man who has taken, "Fortune's bufetts," and, "Rewards with equal thanks," Importantly for Hamlet, Horatio is not, like so many others that surround him, a sycophant. He is not, "A pipe for fortune's finger / To sound what stop she please," Consequently, Hamlet, "Wear[s] him," deep in his, "Heart's core," He views Horatio as a rock whose steadfast support has helped him cope with the awful reality of life in Claudius' Denmark. Hamlet's relationship with Horatio demonstrates clearly to us that he values, honesty, loyalty, consistency and furthermore, that he desperately needs a friend who values him for who he is, not what he is.

Fortinbras plays a sustained off stage role in the play. While Hamlet does not have a relationship with him per se, his reactions to the Norwegian Prince are significant in revealing his values to us. Hamlet sees Fortinbras a, "Delicate and tender Prince," whose efforts to remain true to this principles are to be commended. For Hamlet, Fortinbras is the epitome of the heroic leader. Fortinbras and Horatio each represent different values. Horatio is his steadfast confidant; a moral man whose scholarly and philosophical nature mirrors Hamlet's own belief in moral beauty. It is for this reason that Horatio is given the first half of Hamlet's eulogy, "Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!" Here Horatio emphasises Hamlet's nobility and sense of Christian morality. Fortinbras, who arrives to the noise of a, "Drum," is tasked with completing this eulogy. He orders, "Four captains to / Bear Hamlet, like soldier to the stage," This is highly significant in terms of our understanding of Hamlet's values, because it indicates to us that Shakespeare wishes us to see Hamlet in the end as a soldier. His values have evolved to the point where he, like Fortinbras operates in world of moral simplicity, a world where right and wrong are determined not by philosophical considerations, but rather by principles and honour.

Despite also learning a great deal about his values from his soliloquies, I do think that we gain a better understanding of Hamlet's values through his relationships with other characters.