6. Déjà Vu

Caterina Roberts

I work at Bookstore Cafe from Monday to Thursday at different hours. Bookstore Cafe is just two blocks away from my apartment and that was one of reason I took this job. I love my job and all, but it's been a little hectic this week especially today, that's one of the reason why Samantha (Sammy) and I still here after closing time. Sammy is vacuuming while I'm putting away all the books that's been scattered around. After she is done cleaning up I tell her to go home and that I'll close the shop since I don't have to work tomorrow. I give Sammy a quick hug before she heads out the door.

It's Thursday evening, it's nine thirteen and I'm still picking up books and putting them back where they belong. Just a few minutes later my phone starts ringing, so I quickly grab my phone and pick it up. Putting my phone between my ear and shoulder I start talking while climbing up the ladder with books in hand.

"Hey Eva," I say into the phone while I put books away on the top shelf.

"Hey, Snow wants to say goodnight."

"She hasn't sleepy yet?"

"No, sorry."

"Ok, put her on the phone."

"Mommy," she says.

"Snow, I hear you are being a bad girl. Are you giving Auntie Eva a hard time?"

"No, mommy."

"I want you to go to bed sweetheart."

"I want momma," she says sounding very tired. I can picture her saying that while rubbing her eyes from sleepiness.

"Baby, momma is closing the shop now, okay?"

"Momma, home?" She says.

"Yes, I'll be home soon. I love you." Just as I hang up the phone I hear someone say 'hello.'

"Hello," say in return. I thought I put the close sign on the door. "I'm sorry sir, the shop is closed."

"Where are you?" A deep throaty voice asks and for some reason I feel like I have heard his voice before.

"Oh sorry, how rude of me. I'm up here," I reply as I put away last couple books away.

I hear him clear his throat as if he found something amusing and he starts talking.
"Well, I see that you are closing, but you see I was having a meeting which happened to ran a lot longer than I had hoped for it to go, and totally missed my lunch," he pauses for a second as if he just realized something and says, "and dinner. So, I was just wondering if I could buy a cup of coffee and any kind of pastry that you have left from the day it would make my day so much better," he says with a chuckle.

I feel really bad for him. "I'm so sorry that you've had a long day sir. I'm pretty sure we are out of coffee, but let me see what I can find for you. Just give me a second, okay?" I tell him.

"Thank you."

I smile at myself and start stepping down the ladder. Out of nowhere I lose my balance. Oh dear God, help me. I don't want to die, what's going to happen to my baby? It feels like forever until I feel a strong pair of arms hold me.

I am scared to open my eyes so I keep it shut.

After a minute or so I hear him. "You can open your eyes now."

Taking a deep breath I slowly open my eyes. I am so grateful for whoever this guys is that I could literally kiss him right now. Putting that thought aside I look up at him to to thank him.

"Thank yo..." I don't get to finish my sentence. I would recognize that pair of eyes anywhere.

The feeling of  déjà vu was overwhelming. I stare at him for a good long minute before I say, "get out," in a calm voice. I have no idea why I said that. I should be thanking him for saving me from that fall, but no what do I do? I tell him to get out.