12. The Consequence of a 'No'.

I know I said I was going to update on Friday, and I didn't. Sorry, it was a little hectic day for me. Anyways, it's a Sunday night here, 10:29 PM (ET) to be precise. So I hope this brings you a little happiness as you head into your busy week ahead. And Thanks to all of you who are reading my story and are enjoying it. You guys are the best.

P.S. As I've been writing this story, I've had a HUGE realization. And that is: I'm OBSESSED with men who wear suits. It has become a problem, I kid you not 😜🤗. (Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?)

Happy reading. 😘

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up."
~Neil Gaiman.

Damon Clarkson

For the first time ever, I gave an empty threat. "You're going to quit your job first thing in the morning tomorrow. You don't want to find out what the consequences are, if you don't." I chuckle as I stand under the cold shower remembering what I told her. And as I remembered her response, the smile that was plastered to my face vanished. I hated the fact she shuddered at the cold tone of my voice, which had taken everything in me to sound as cold as I did. She didn't doubt it. She believed that I would do what I said. I would've had a smirk on my face at the same response if it were from someone else. I didn't feel triumphant at all. And above all, I hated the fact that I hated her response.

It was the emptiest of all empty threats. What the hell was I going to do to her? Nothing. I wasn't going to do anything to the woman who had flipped my world upside down by just bumping into me. She had me frustrated like no other had. She had gotten under my skin and I wanted her out. And I told myself that that was the only reason I was going to do what I was going to do.

That night I got home late from the beach house. I didn't feel like eating dinner, so I just walked upstairs to my room. I couldn't sleep. I was tossing and turning all night long. I hated her for what she was doing to me. All I can do is think about her. Her smile, smell, eyes, hair, her everything. She was driving me crazy.

I decided to roll out of bed later than usual that morning because I wasn't expecting her to show up at her work before nine. After rolling out bed exhausted I took a cold shower. And as I stood there with my palms pressed against the wall leaning in, I realized that taking a cold shower every couple hours was all that I had been doing lately. After getting dressed I walked downstairs to hear a familiar voice.

"You're here," I said as I rounded the corner and walked in the living room.

"Brother in-law," Peter said from where he sat. "I wasn't expecting you here."

"Where else would I be if not in my own house, Peter?"

He looked at his watch and back at me, "are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked taking a seat across from him.

"Just curious," he said with a smile on his face and looked at Charlotte. I hadn't talked to her since yesterday morning.

"Yea, that is what I have been wondering as well," Charlotte said.

"Wondering about what?" I looked at her.

"You know, if you are okay or not because you've been acting weird. For example this is your second time getting to work after six in the morning, it is eight forty. And about yesterday..."