senses

She could hear his voice in her ear, berating her as she writhed in pain beneath him. She could hear her muffled screams for help, as well as his mocking laughter as he listened to her fail.

She could smell the strong odor of his expensive cologne mixing with scent of her blood as it trickled slowly down the side of her face.

She could feel the uncomfortable warmth of his breath against her neck. She could feel her heart pounding inside of her exposed chest, desperately fighting for some way to break free. She could feel herself slowly slipping away as the wave of darkness he had thrown her into pulled her under, the current being far too strong for her to find any hope at trying to escape.

_____

REYNA SHOT UP in bed, letting out several deep breaths as she tried to find some way to rid her aching mind of the thoughts that had appeared during her slumber. Beads of sweat covered her face, as well as the rest of her body, leaving the hospital gown she wore to adhere to her clammy skin. She ran a trembling hand through her hair, careful not to agitate the injury sitting on the side of her head—the injury that only helped to serve as a reminder as to what had happened to her.

She wanted to forget. She wanted to forget it more than anything, but she couldn't, no matter how hard she tried to do so. This wasn't something she could just get rid of with the snap of her fingers or eight hours of sleep. This was something that would stick with her for years and years, never once leaving the confines of her cluttered mind. This was something that would torture her day by day, not once offering her even the slightest feeling of contentment and ease; she would suffer daily through the emotional torment it caused her and the psychological damage it brought her. A part of her had been stripped away by the very hands of a man whom she once believed she could put her trust in—a man that she now knew had no regards for anyone else but himself.

In Reyna's eyes, it was her fault it had happened. She had been told to steer clear of him, yet she refused to. She allowed her need to see the good in people blind her, which was something she now regretted more than anything. She was stuck with the pain and stuck with the damage she had so wrongly been subject to, and there was no escape.

The hospital room door opening startled Reyna, and she jumped back, bringing her blanket to cover the lower part of her face. Sebastian furrowed his eyebrows at her actions as he wondered exactly why she was so jumpy. He had been very observant of her since he had arrived at the hospital last night, and although he knew her concussion had something to do with the way she was acting, he knew there was more to the story that she and her friend Morgan weren't telling him.

Reyna lowered the blanket as she realized it was only Sebastian, and a new feeling settled inside her, replacing the negative ones, but just barely. She could feel a strong sensation of love, home, relief, and comfort as she looked at him, thankful that her temporary amnesia had finally subsided.

"Sebastian," Reyna whispered, her green eyes brightening ever so slightly. The empty void still remained, and that was something Sebastian had picked up on as well.

"Hey, sweetheart," Sebastian greeted her with a small smile, sitting his cup of coffee down and heading over to her.

Reyna wasted not a single second in propping herself onto her knees and wrapping her arms tightly around his shoulders. She felt as if she had been hit by a cement truck, and the pain made her want to burst into tears, but her hold on Sebastian kept her from doing so. He was her rock—her anchor.

"I take it you know who I am now?" Sebastian chuckled, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Reyna nodded into the crook of his neck, holding onto him as tightly as she could. She was afraid to let go of him, as she didn't want the pain of the suffering to return. "You're the man I love most in this world; you're the man I could never live without. You're the love of my life."

Sebastian frowned at the urgency and the pain in her tone and pulled away, though it was incredibly difficult to do so with the iron grip she had around his neck. "What's wrong, Reyna?"

The tears were already building in Reyna's eyes, and she couldn't do anything to control it or contain it. Her emotions were overwhelming her, both good and bad, and there was nothing she could do to counteract it. She had fallen victim to her own mind, and she feared that was the way it was going to have to be for the time being. She had suffered so much in such a short amount of time, and her concussed mind was trying to process it all at once. It felt like someone was fighting a nuclear war inside her brain.

"N-nothing," Reyna lied as she hugged him again, pulling him to sit down on her bed with her. "I'm o-okay."

"I don't know if I believe you." Sebastian sighed and held her tightly, though he loosened his grip on her when a small whimper escaped her body. "You're not you, Reyna. I know that your concussion has something to do with that, but not to such an extent."

Reyna frowned and pressed the side of her face against his chest. "I'm sorry. I'm not meaning to."

"I'm just worried about you, baby."

"I know," Reyna squeaked as she squeezed her tear-filled eyes shut. "You don't need to worry, though. I'm okay."

"I'll never not worry about you, Reyna."

Sebastian looked down at her, tilting her chin up so she was looking up at him as well. He looked into her green eyes that he loved so much, and he could practically feel the pain he knew she was feeling just by looking into them. He didn't want that for her—never for her—but it seemed as if this time he wasn't going to get what he wanted.