Ch. 12: Daniel

I couldn't wait to see her smiling. After she attempted suicide, I couldn't even look in the mirror because if I was any more ignorant, she could have died. My best friend could have been gone.

"Hey Daniel, you alright?" Jared looked at me worriedly from the driver's seat. He offered me a ride down to the hospital since I was a jittery mess.

I cleared my throat and looked down at my hands. "Anxious, I guess."

He turned down the radio so we could talk better. "You saved her life."

"She could have died."

"But she's alive, thanks to you," Jared's eyes were thankful.

"Yeah... I know this is weird to ask, but do you have any more cuts?" My voice was shaken.

He looked confused. "What?"

"You know, the myth? Did Brianna not-"

"Oh right, no, there's no new ones."

I sighed in relief. "Okay so she's safe."

There was still a chance she wasn't eating. If she couldn't eat, then she wouldn't leave the hospital for a while.

After some awkward silence, Jared turned up the radio again and just drove along, not bothering to talk. He seemed distant, and I was worried that something happened.

When we got to her room, Jared sheepishly waited outside the door. When he didn't walk in, I ran in to give her a big hug.

"Bree! How are you doing?" I sat on the edge of her bed. Her skin was paler than ever and blended in with the white walls and bed sheets.

"I'm doing good, considering."

Her cheeks were sunken in and her bones seemed like they would pierce her fragile skin. Her scars were pink, since they were newer, and her lips were dark. She's lucky to be alive with her lack of eating.

"Have you eaten today?"

"What do you think?"

I looked at Jared, who was staring at his feet. I wondered why he was silent.

"Hey Daniel?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I have a moment with Jared, alone?"

She looked worried, but I knew it was for the best. I nodded and left quietly, shutting the door behind me.