Chapter 7

(A/N: the picture attached is the ball gown Venus picks out for the upcoming Yule Ball.)

Venus' POV
It was Saturday, and most of the students were off to Hogsmeade as soon as the sun rose almost.
I didn't really want to go, so I had plans to go to the library, and just fill my mind with books. I was just getting ready to make my way there, when there was a knock on my dorm door.
I answered, and Natalie was standing there, all smiles.
"What's up?" I asked.
"Aren't you coming?" She asked me expectantly.
I rose an eyebrow. "Where?"
She laughed. "Hogsmeade, of course, Venus!"
I gave her a questioning look.
"Don't you need a dress for the Yule Ball?! It's coming fast, and you know if you don't get it now, all the good ones will have gone." Natalie explained.
I laughed, letting out a sigh. "Okay. Let's go then.."
*****
We arrived at the dress shop, and Natalie clapped her hands excitedly.
I laughed. "You're really into this, aren't you?"
She gave me a shocked look. "Aren't you? You get to look like royalty for a night! What woman wouldn't be excited??"
I shrugged, not answering as we walked inside.

It was about an hour into searching for a dress, and nothing was catching my fancy. I was ready to give up, until I caught a speck of emerald green out of the corner of my eye.
I walked towards it, and examined the dress. It was a full ball gown, with off shoulder sleeves, and silver jewels lining up and down the fitted bust. I smirked to myself.
Not only would I represent my house, there was a good chance I would be the only one wearing a ball gown, from the gossip and words I've heard. Not to mention, Jasper would drool upon sight of me, that much, I knew.
And what was life if you didn't stand out once in a while?
Natalie came up behind me, bagged dress in hand, and I heard her breath catch.
"Venus, that's beautiful." She whispered, touching it lightly.
I smiled. "I know. It's absolutely perfect."
******
A couple hours later
I adjusted my black reading glasses, as I leaned back in my chair at the table. I propped my feet up on it, enjoying the serenity of the almost empty library.
"Miss Hastings."
My head snapped up at the sound of that familiar drawl. I had an urge to narrow my eyes at the man.
Instead, I smirked. "Professor."
Snape assessed me for a moment. "I can't say I expected this."
I rose an eyebrow. "Expected what?"
"That." He stated, nodding his head toward the book in my hand.
I chuckled, unable to help myself. "I read quite often, Professor Snape...sorry to disappoint."
A hint of a smirk lined his lips, and I blinked, trying to decipher if I was imagining things or not.
My shock continued as I watched Professor Snape pull out the chair across from me, and sit down.
He grabbed the book in my hands, and examined the cover.
He rose an eyebrow in my direction.
"The Crucible?"
I smiled. "It's one of my favorite books. I read it once, and it was enough for me to have to read it again and again. Have you read it?"
"I can't say I have, Miss Hastings. Why do you ask?"
I chuckled, taking the book back from him.
"It's about witchcraft. The Salem Witch Trials."
Professor Snape looked slightly intrigued by what I was saying, which was new.
"I've vaguely heard about that event." He stated.
I nodded in agreement.
We looked at each other, and no words passed between us.
Something flashed in his eyes, and my stomach twisted. I couldn't decipher if it was a good or bad feeling.
I was the first to break eye contact, staring down at the cover of the book. Snape cleared his throat, standing up.
"Good day, Miss Hastings."
With that, he glided away, black cape flowing behind him.
"You too, Professor." I whispered.
Minutes passed, before realizing I was running late meeting Jasper.
Picking up the book and putting it back on its shelf, I left the library.
********