Chapter 9

As I sat eating breakfast, I tried to think otherwise, but I just couldn't.
I was so confused.
Why did Professor Snape let us off the hook?
Since when does he ever do that? I would have thought he'd take advantage of the situation, and expel me, considering how much he hates me.
I glanced up to look at Jasper, and he smiled back at me.
I grasped his hand under the table.
I was so enthralled by my boyfriend next to me, that I didn't notice the onyx eyes scrutinizing my every move from the staff table.

"Where were you last night?" Natalie asked me in a hushed whisper as we worked together in Potions a bit later.
I tried not to smirk, as I looked down at our cauldron.
"Not sleeping." I muttered, feeling my cheeks heat up in a blush.
Natalie giggled a little, waggling her eyebrows in a suggestive manner.
I laughed too.
"Silence!" Professor Snape hissed.
Our laughter instantly ceased, as our faces turned to stone.
We focused on perfecting our potion (mostly Natalie's expertise), for the remainder of the class.
When dismissal came, students started to file out of the room, and I went to leave with them. I stopped though, a thought coming to mind.
'Courage, V..' I urged myself.
I waited until the last student left, and approached his desk, albeit hesitantly.
He rose an eyebrow as I spoke.
I crossed my arms over my chest. "Okay, what gives?"
"Pardon?"
I let out a breath. "Why didn't you punish me? Detention? Expulsion? Medieval torture?"
Snape assessed me for a moment, and I managed to keep my sturdy stance.
"I figured your embarrassment was more than enough consequence." Professor Snape stated.
I furrowed my eyebrows, opening my mouth to comment or respond, but surprisingly, I found myself lost for words.
"Um..thanks." I muttered awkwardly, shuffling on my feet.
I couldn't decipher his look, but for some strange reason, it made my heart race.
Yet again, we just stared at each other.
I was the first to break it, leaving the room without another word.
I didn't know what else to say.
******
A week later
"Come on, V! Everyone's gonna be there!" Natalie begged.
"I don't like dragons. And competition is overrated anyways." I explained.
The First Task was beginning, and I didn't want to watch it. I would much rather go back to my room and take a nap. Missing it wouldn't kill me.
"Go. Have fun." I told Natalie, and with a wave, I turned around to make my way to the dungeons.
"Where ya goin, babe?" Jasper asked with a smile, as he stopped me in my tracks seconds later, hands on my shoulders.
"To sleep." I laughed.
"You're not going to the Task?" He asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
I nodded.
"Why wouldn't you go?" He asked me.
"I just need some rest, I don't know...ask my body clock, Jas?" I commented, raising an eyebrow in surprise.
He let out a frustrated sigh.
My eyes narrowed in slight anger. "What is your problem?"
"The whole reason I came to stay here was to go to the Yule Ball yeah, but it was also to watch the Tasks with you." He said, giving me a look as if it was obvious.
I just stared at him. "Well, I'm sorry."
"Whatever, V. Sweet dreams."
I felt tears glisten in my eyes as I watched Jasper walk away from me.
What the hell?!
We had never had a disagreement like that.
I turned around, and just my luck, knocked into someone.
"Sorry." I muttered, looking up to see it was Professor Snape.
Not giving him a chance to see me cry, I kept walking.
"Miss Hastings."
I stopped, looking up at the ceiling for a moment before turning back around to face him.
"Are you alright?" Professor Snape asked me, and it took me a moment to comprehend that he was asking about my well-being.
I managed to smirk. "Just peachy."
Not caring about his response, I turned away and walked around the corner, and finally down to the dungeons.
I entered the common room, and dragged myself up the stairs to my dorm.
I plopped on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. Knowing I was alone now, I let out a sigh, and let the tears fall.
*******