Chapter 11

My skirt ruffled against my legs as I ran down the corridor, away from the Great Hall. I collapsed then, sliding down the wall, tears streaming down my face.
I couldn't pull my thoughts together. How? Why?
What did I do to make him do this to me?
I sobbed into my hands, my shoulders shaking.
I couldn't believe this.
"Venus."
I couldn't look up at Jasper.
"Get away from me." I whispered lethally, as I shakily pulled myself up, wiping the tears off my cheeks.
"Let me explain, V." He tried, standing in front of my path.
"There is no explanation. No excuse. Leave me alone." I said, my voice raising in volume just a little. I was trying to control my anger, before my elemental magic got out of control, and I was to do something I'd regret.
I pushed past him, but didn't get far as his hands caught me around my waist.
In an instant, my hand came across his cheek, the force of the slap causing his head to snap to the side, the sound echoing off the walls.
Jasper looked at me, shock resonating in his eyes. I glared at him, and before I could say another word, a voice interrupted us.
"Return to the Great Hall this instant." I didn't have to turn around to know it was Professor Snape.
I kept my gaze on Jasper, who let out a defeated sigh. The silence was deafening as he opened his mouth to speak, but I held up a hand to stop him.
He sighed again, as he walked past me, and I looked down at the ground, refusing to look at him again.
"I'm so sorry, V." He whispered, and I shook my head.
"To the Great Hall. Now." Professor Snape stated again, authority strong in his voice.
This time, Jasper walked away.
I took in a shaky breath, and turned around, with intent to go back too.
Professor Snape stopped me in my tracks, his hands landing on my shoulders gently.
I couldn't look at him. I felt embarrassed beyond belief.
His gentle fingers grasped my chin, and forced me to look up at him. His eyes were shining with so many emotions at once, the most I've ever seen resonate in those onyx depths.
Silent tears were falling down my cheeks, as Professor Snape just looked at me.
Then he did something I never would have expected.
He pulled me to him, and wrapped his arms around me in a comforting embrace.
I was in slight shock for a moment, before I relaxed, and lightly wrapped my arms around him, laying my head on his chest. He was a few inches taller than me, so his chin was resting on my head lightly.
His heart was beating rapidly, and I could feel mine doing so as well.
I was wondering why.
I also couldn't believe I was hugging Professor Snape, not to mention that he was hugging me too.
Then, it was as if I realized what I was doing, and pulled away.
I cleared my throat, as did he.
After a moment of silence, he spoke, his deep voice resonating through the empty corridor.
"If you wish for someone to hex that dunderhead, I would be more than willing to volunteer."
I laughed, despite how sad and broken I felt.
"It's okay, Professor. I can handle him myself."
A hint of a smirk lined his lips as he looked at me.
It still hadn't completely clicked in my mind that this was happening. Professor Snape and I weren't arguing for once.
I leaned against the wall.
"How is your Christmas faring, Professor?"
He crossed his arms, and stood by the wall as well.
"It's satisfactory, thank you."
I smiled. "That's good. Mine was alright up until this moment. I got a signed copy of 'The Crucible', which was the best gift I received."
His eyes shone with mischief for a moment, and I started to smile.
"That was from you, wasn't it?"
Professor Snape rose an eyebrow, in what I would describe as a playful manner.
"I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about."
I laughed, holding my hands up in mock surrender. "Whatever you say, Professor Snape. Regardless....thank you."
He gave me a slight nod, as a sign of understanding.
A moment passed as I found myself captivated by his enthralling gaze. I couldn't tear my eyes away.
As if we were both on autopilot, the space between us was closing, until we were inches from each other.
The back of his hand traced my cheek, and my words were caught in my throat. He gently tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I shivered involuntarily.
His eyes glanced down to my lips, and I saw a flash of confliction and hesitation in his eyes. My heart felt like it was beating out of my chest.
It felt like time had stopped, and I was on the edge of anticipation, not knowing what he would do next.
My mind was in a haze as he opened his mouth to speak.
"Good night, Miss Hastings."
Professor Snape whispered, and before I could respond, he had turned away swiftly, rounded the corner, and disappeared out of sight.
I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding, and leveled myself against the wall with my hand. My legs felt weak, and my heart had dropped to my stomach.
I looked down the empty hall, where he had exited moments earlier.
"Goodnight, Professor." I whispered into the emptiness.
******