Chapter 20

Venus's POV
"It can't be..." I whispered, stepping closer to Severus.
For some reason, I wanted to cry, but I blinked back the tears.
Our eyes met, and regret filled his.
"How long have you been a DeathEater?" I asked him, feeling myself shiver against the night air, and I crossed my arms against my chest.
"Too long." He muttered, seeming at war with himself.
"Does Dumbledore know that his Potions Professor is a follower of the Dark Lord?" I asked, feeling uncomfortable saying those words.
"Indeed. I'm a double agent, working for both sides. I do not follow the Dark Lord, as it is. Not anymore." He explained simply.
I let out a breath of relief, thanking the gods above.
I was staring at him now, just taking every piece of him in, and he looked at me in question. Despite his pain, and the knowledge of the Dark Lord having risen again, he stepped closer, the space between us mere inches.
"Are you afraid?" He asked in a whisper, one that held question and genuine interest within it.
I met his eyes dead on. "'No." I whispered genuinely, searching his face.
His face relaxed, and he pulled me into an embrace, gripping me as if I would disappear into thin air if he let go.
I smiled, letting out a sigh of ecstasy.
I bit my lip nervously then. "So what does this mean? Do you have to go to him?"
Severus sighed heavily, and I could sense the turmoil lacing his soul.
"Yes. This is how it must be." He stated, as I looked up at him now.
"Do you promise to come back?" I asked, feeling my voice crack a little bit.
He smirked a little bit, looking down at me.
"Who else will keep you out of trouble, Miss Hastings?" He teased, and I couldn't help but laugh a little.
I kissed him then, wrapping my arms around his neck. He returned it graciously, gripping my waist in his rough yet gentle hands.
It felt desperate and passionate all at once.
We pulled away after a minute or two, and I sighed.
"I'll be waiting right here, okay?"
He nodded in understanding, as he turned away, disappearing from sight.
******
My body was rushing with anxiety. I had heard screaming not too long ago, and a lot of commotion was occurring from inside the arena, students leaving and professors leading them up to the castle.
I stayed underneath the shadow of the tree, and gasped as I saw a body being carried out, surrounded by a crying man, and other people I didn't recognize.
The yellow shirt was unmistakeable, and I knew it was Cedric Diggory.
I didn't know what had happened, but I was too afraid to find out.
I took deep breaths, trying to calm down.
Chaos was ensuing, and Severus was still nowhere to be found.
*****
I pinched myself to stay awake. I had no idea what time it was.
Suddenly, I heard rustling from behind me, and I pulled my wand from my boot, holding it out.
"Who's there?" I asked into the silence, despite my rapidly beating heart.
"It's just me." I heard come from a few feet away, the silk tone unmistakeable.
I smiled.
"Over here!" I whispered somewhat loudly.
"Lumos!" I said.
In a flash, and out of nowhere, I felt an arm  wrap around my waist roughly, and a hand slap over my mouth.
I panicked, muffled scream.
"Hello again." The gruff voice whispered into my ear, and I recognized it.
The guy from the woods that night of my detention.
I struggled against him, as he started pulling me away from where I knew Severus was coming from.
I bit his hand then; he growled in pain, and I yelled in fear.
"SEVERUS!"
The guy clamped his hand over my mouth again, just as Professor Snape appeared in front of us, wand drawn.
"Release her." He growled.
The guy chuckled wickedly, and I cringed.
"Not a chance. Venus and I have some unfinished business."
I looked at Severus, tears in my eyes.
The look he gave me was laced with worry, and for the first time ever:
Fear.
Snape's POV
Before I could utter a spell, the two of them disappeared in a flash of fire.
"Venus!!!" I yelled in anguish, falling to my knees.

She was gone.

End of Book 1
**********
A/N: Okay guys, that's the end of the first book.
Hope you liked it, and don't worry, there will be much more to come. :)
The sequel book will be titled 'Venus Risen: Book 2'.
Hopefully the first three chapters of the sequel will be posted within the week.
Thank you all!
-Hannah x