Coming home from the endless winter

Things were simple.

People lived simple lives with no worries; they worked, they came home to their family and friends until the day passed when they die. Things weren't complicated, it was the simple apple pie life that people wanted. But with every Apple that fell from the apple tree, there is always bad one.

Now, I'm not saying every bad apple is extremely murderous or blood thirsty, but I'm not saying I wasn't. Everything that goes up must come down, right? Well how the doctors put it:

I was so far up that God couldn't bring me back down...

***

It was a bleak, rainy day; no different from any other day that had water falling from the heavens. Hardly anyone left their houses, all cosy with their fuzzy blankets and warm cups of tea while watching films hours on end. But a house stood at the end of a street, no glee ever left that house, as it never entered in the first place. The windows smudged with dirt and dust, the grass over grown to the point where it's wilting and inside lived a man who had his heart ripped into two pieces, the piece he loved the most. Gone.

But it wasn't always like that. No, he was the man on the street that everyone said hello to. The house was filled with delight and joy, and there was two grown men inside, perfectly happy with one another. They would always take their little corgi for a walk every morning and afternoon, hand in hand. They washed the car together, cleaned the windows together and cut the grass together. Life was perfect.

Life was simple.

But one day, the rain fell harder than before. The skies darker than the darkness that rose in the house. There was no sign of the other male who was significantly taller than the other, he just got up and left. But there's a story behind every closed door, and with each word unfolds a new story. This story is not your usual fairy tale ending with princes and princesses. This story is about a man called Gabriel and how his will to survive became a menacing vengeance against humanity.

***

"Oh Sam isn't it wonderful? We're gonna be celebrating our three year anniversary in a few days," The short, dirty blonde haired man exclaimed while jumping around with glee, barely containing himself.

"Gabriel... About that-" His husband spoke out quietly, but was interrupted.

"Just me, you and little Sparky. Our tiny little family," Gabriel spoke out, oblivious to Sam's saddened face until he was forced to stop and look into Sam's eyes, reading him like a book. "Hey, what's wrong?" He questioned softly.

"Gabe, know that I love you very dearly and I would never do anything to harm you or purposely upset you," He paused, reading his partner's face like a novel. "Now for some time you've know about my interest in the navy and army, you know that I want to fight for what's right," He paused once again, trying his best to give it to Gabriel the easiest way possible without triggering him. "Well I got a letter through the mail yesterday, and I'm being deployed and I'm leaving tonight,". There was pure silence between the two for what felt like years, but were merely seconds that flew away like leaves in the wind.

"Very funny Sam, but please don't joke like that," Gabriel couldn't believe a word.

"If I was joking Gabriel, then I wouldn't have my bags packed already." Sam was right, he wouldn't of gone that far to joke with him, he was dead serious. It took a few moments for Gabriel to comprehend the situation before suddenly busting into tears, sobbing into Sam's shirt like a tissue. Sam didn't know what to do, so he sat there with his arms around his partner to try bring him some comfort.

Minutes turned to hours and before they knew it, Sam's time was up. Dean, his older brother, was parked outside their house and was waiting. Gabriel could barely speak, the tears made his voice non existent (almost) and Sparky had his ears down with sad puppy eyes. The couple split ways in the most painful way possible for them both. Gabriel having to be pried off of Sam as he tried to hold his tears back, blowing one last kiss to his broken angel and let his brother drive him off.

Life was simple.

Now I'm not saying it's all gloom and doom there, they both remained in contact with letters and phone calls.
They stayed in touch, but it got bad real fast. Sam stopped calling. He stopped sending letters. He stopped sending Gabriel little goodnight messages through his phone. It all stopped. It stopped on their anniversary day.

Gabriel was more than mad. He was furious. Sam never called him once on that day and that made him envy every lovey dovey couple that walked down the street, he wanted blood. He slaughtered anyone that made him the slightest bit jealous, and that caused the population in towns to decrease rapidly. He never got caught, not once but it showed on the outside that the shadows couldn't hide his emotions. It couldn't hide how broken he was.

The day comes around to Sam's birthday, nothing changed. Usually bills, crappy junk mail but a small letter was in the post. He took it up into his responsibility to open it, but he regretted it very quickly.

Dear Gabriel Winchester,

We are contacting you of recent events and due to Samuel Winchester's condition, he has unfortunately passed on the 2nd of May. He was a good man, and we hope that his memory lives on through you and family. We are deeply sorry to break the news, but we hope that you'll remember him for the man he was.

Sincerely, head of Navy Control

Philip Slackervitch

life was simple.

That's what everyone told me, Sam told me that too. But when I came to realise that life was more than just picking up a book and smiling to everyone you met, it made me realise that this world is cruel in so many ways. So I'll always remember the day that I never got to say goodbye to my husband, and I never got to tell him how much I love him. I never got to tell him how:

Life is simple.