Chapter 6

Dylan's POV

"Now you're sure you're positive you want this? It's not to late to change your mind," Amy explained calmly.

The couple of days before the trial had passed quickly and we stood outside the court room while mum and Liam signed some paperwork before they were able to begin the trial.

"I'm sure," I nodded and played with the hem of my black skirt.

"Usually we get the child to spend a lot more time with the guardian before the actual trial, but this situation was sort of different," Amy sighed. "You haven't spent a lot of time with him, I'm not doubting that he is a lovely person though."

"I know I haven't," I sighed as well. "But it's not like he's suddenly going to leave me, and it will feel like I'm finally coming out of the lie that I've lived in my whole life."

"Okay, but remember if there's anything, and I mean anything that bothers you, I'm here to talk to you."

I nodded in understanding and the two of us sat outside once the doors to the room shut, indicating that the trial had started.

"I wish I could hear what they were saying," I said, desperately straining my ears to even catch a couple of words of what they were saying.

"Good luck with that," Amy chuckled. "Just be patient."

"Patient isn't in my vocabulary," I chuckled and Amy raised her eyebrows.

"Liam has no idea what he's in for," Amy said while shaking her head.

I grinned and eventually sat back down, knowing that I would just have to wait and see what the verdict would be.

After a while both mum and Liam walked out, not looking at us but talking to each other instead. Mum held out her hand for Liam to shake but instead he chuckled and wrapped his arms around her while she chuckled as well.

"Thank you so much," he said.

He had won! He had won the trial! I ran up to both of them and just about managed to get and arm around both of them so I could be included in the hug.

"I can't believe it, you're officially mine now," Liam said in disbelief.

"I know, it felt like everything was taking so long to happen, and now it's over," I sighed in relief and looked at mum. "Thank you so much again mum, for all your help."

"Honestly Dylan it's nothing, if it makes you happy then it makes me happy too," mum said and I smiled. "Now we should probably move some of your stuff to Liam's house, when would be a good time?"

"Well I was thinking maybe she could stay at my house tonight?" Liam asked hopefully.

"I, I mean yes of course, she legally is yours now," mum said, her mood seemed even more saddened.

We had had our last special family meal together the night before, mum had done it just in case Liam wanted me to move in with him straight away. We watched an old movie together as a family, but I spent almost the entire time just looking around the room, at all the old photographs and objects. Moments that I had loved and experienced with people that I really loved.

"Dylan is that okay with you? And then we can get the rest of your stuff tomorrow?" Liam added.

"Yeah I'd really like that," I smiled.

After driving home I ran straight up to my room to pack my bag, in the rush forgetting to tell Tilly the news. I threw my duffel bag into my bed and shoved some pyjamas into it as well as a spare change of clothes. I sorted out some things into a wash bag and placed that inside as well.