Part 9 - No Escape from Overthinking

When you stopped running you had a sharp pain running down the entire left side of your body, spreading ever outwards all across you. Was this what the start of a broken heart felt like? Did it manifest itself as an actual pain? Or was it just your brain detaching itself from your heart, to get back at you for feeling in the first place? You didn't know, you'd never felt anything like it before, but you were sure that whatever this was, it was just the beginning.

When you finally came to focus on the area around you, and realised you had absolutely know idea where you were - the lights of the strip were glinting behind you, and the night air silent and still, yet somehow sending chills down you spine.
A girl walking past with her friends stopped and asked you "Are you alright girl? Can I help you?" - I was guessing the black eye, bandages and the fact I was struggling to breathe, must have looked like I was escaping something horrible, and in a way I was, but nothing as extreme as what they probably thought the City of Sin had put you through.
"I'm fine....but...I'm kind of lost..." you said, catching your breath between words. You didn't know if it way the way you spoke, or if the pain you felt seeped out of your skin, but they instantly seemed to want to help you.
"Do you want to come with us? We can take you back to where you are staying?" a blonde in the group said
"Actually, yes, that'd be good" you said, as you realised you had no wallet or phone and didn't think that the backstreets of Vegas were the best place for you to be hanging around while you gathered your thoughts.
 Though jumping in cabs with strangers wasn't your usual, weirdly, getting into a cab with a group of girls you didn't actually know was the most comforting thing that could have happened to you.

On the drive back they'd gotten a brief overview of the story on the way back and hung out the front of the hotel eagerly listening to the the entirety of the story.
"My heart breaks for you" one of the girls said as she gave you a hug, "he'll never know how nice it was for you to walk away" she continued
"I hope you are going to be okay" another one of them said, and as you stepped out of the cab to leave one of the girls grabbed your hand on the way out - "protect yourself girl, be safe" looking into your eyes with so much compassion and understanding - it was a kind of compassion that girls can only give to other girls in such a circumstance and it made you feel better, for some reason.
But as the cab pulled away a pang of something hit you in the chest, hard, you didn't know what it was; something you didn't understand, something spreading like a disease throughout your body, something that couldn't be detected over the sound of the voices in your head, but spreading an overwhelming numbness inside of you.

Halfway to the elevator you realised you didn't have a room key, or identification, or a phone and so couldn't just disappear up to your room like you wanted. You approached reception to try and explain your story, but the receptionist; an uptight brunette woman who had probably had to deal with far too much crap from patrons of this city than she needed, was not having any of it. Thankfully, the bellboy who had delivered the gold dress to your room identified you - and this was enough for her to give you a spare room key, seemingly she just clearly wanted to get you away from the desk as fast as possible as your bruised and battered appearance probably wasn't ideal for business.

The lift shut behind you as you moved into the back corner, and suddenly you were alone and standing still, and a flood of sadness, anger and confusion hit you in the chest, causing you to breathe too fast and your head to spin and the elevator suddenly felt like it was dropping to the ground at 100kms an hour as your brain started to throw thought after thought at you.
What have I done? Why did I come here? How could I let this happen? Why does hit hurt so much? I'll never be able to see the Sidemen again...

You were grateful when the door opened because you felt like you would faint, trapped in a box with nothing but your own thoughts and pains - all of which were self caused - but none of which your overthinking mind would be able to let go of for a long time, if ever.
But the exit to the hallway wasn't the relief you were hoping for, you could see down the corridor and a tall figure was sitting backed against the door of your hotel room, knees in front of his chest and staring down at the ground. You tried to reach back to the elevator button behind me, but he saw you first.

"Y/N" he shouted as he walked towards you. No words came out of your mouth, you couldn't make your body move, despite the overwhelming feeling you should run, instead you just looked down at the floor.
"Y/N, I'm so sorry" Cal said moving closer and when you finally put your head up and he saw your bruised face, and the flinch in your reaction, he hesitated and choked on his own words.
"I didn't know...I turned on my phone again an hour ago and was flooded with messages... I didn't mean it..." he pushed out, and suddenly everything inside; every thought, feeling, pain and shock came to a head and it all flowed out, as your head pressed against Cal's chest as he pulled you into him, and you broke down.