Before

Lana

Lana

I looked around my room one last time trying to memorize every little thing. From the color of the rug under my bed to the framed pictures on my yellow walls. Walking out of my room I closed the door trying not to make any noise. The last thing I wanted was for someone to wake up, I was trying to make this quick and easy and didn't want to have to argue my way out.

Walking down the hallway I stopped and looked into my older sister's room. Caitlin was sleeping peacefully with her arm hanging off the bed, a position that had somehow always been comfortable for her. I walked in quietly and left a letter for Caitlin inside the book that rested on her nightstand. I smiled as I read the little note I had written on the inside cover when she first got it years ago.

'Don't stop being a nerd. I need someone to do my homework for me. With love the best sister you could have asked for'

I made sure to add a separate envelope with Josh's name written in bold. I had sealed it and wrote down his new address hoping Caitlin would send it out to him. I had thought this through so many times and taken all the precautions necessary. I wanted everyone to know that I would be gone for a very long time. I wanted them to be prepared just in case I didn't make it back alive.

Walking out of Caitlin's room I didn't bother to look inside our parents room knowing it would make it so much more difficult to leave. I made my way down the stairs and put the letter I wrote for my parents explaining why I was leaving on the table next to the door.

I walked out the front door and closed it. I took a deep breath pushing down the tears as I walked out of the house I had grown up in for the last 15 years of my life.

'This was it, it's now or never' I thought to myself

Walking down the small steps down the porch I reminded myself not to look back. As I made my way down the road to where the car waited for me I thought about my life.

I remembered all the times I stood up for what I believed in even if my parents were against it. All the times I stood up for Caitlin even when she asked me not to. I just couldn't help but think that maybe the way I was, the way I rebelled was a reason why I felt like what I was doing right now was the right thing to do.

I was leaving my family behind to become something my family could have never imagined, what I never imagined. What everyone would never expect. I just hoped in the long run it would benefit us all.

I had always started fights and the times I didn't I surely finished them.

'She is a troubled young woman' is what everyone told my parents.

I was only a teen and could not help but feel like this was the beginning of my life. I had never expected for this to become my life. Having been running around with the wrong crowd I was bound to have met new people who would expose me to a new world. I was going to see the real world and I would become great at what I was destined to do, I knew it.