"Just dead silence"

My eyes flutter open. I half expected to see daylight shining through my window, but it was still night. I must've fallen asleep, but why am I awake now? I pull my phone out from under me and check the time. I squint my eyes until they adjust to the sudden brightness. It read 2:00am.

Wow it's late. Why'd I wake up at exactly 2:00? I close my phone and stare around my room. In that moment I begin to feel unsettled. Something felt wrong and I didn't know what, but I shrugged it off and lied back down to got to sleep. About a few minutes later I hear shuffling in the living room.

I jerk up right at the sound of a crash. Is someone in my home? Scared outta my mind, I throw my covers off and quietly stand to my feet. I go to my closet and grab a bat. Gripping it between my hands, I swallow peering into the living room. Nothing was stolen, but my door was ajar. I search my entire apartment and found nothing out of the ordinary. I guess I left my door open.

I go to close it, but a loud muffled crash makes me drop my bat. It sounded like it was coming from next door. Is Mark doing a late night video? He's done it before. He must've gotten his new computer, but what was that crash? I hope he doesn't break anything. I close the door and I go to my west wall, putting my ear to it.

It was weird because there were no voices or sounds. It was just silence...just dead silence.

Suddenly a loud thud rings through my ears making me tobble to the ground. What the heck? What was that? At that moment I began to feel worried.

Maybe I should check on him. I leave my apartment and go next door. Part of me just wants to go back and pray he's okay, but what kind of friend would I be if he actually wasn't?

"Mark?" No one answers of course. I swallow and knock on his door. It creaks open at my touch.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes for a moment, hoping I'm having some crazy nightmare. Of course, when I open them, I'm in the same exact place I was when I closed them.

I choke down my fear and push the door wide open so I could see the full view of the room. I gasp at the sight of it. It's destroyed. His glass table was shattered along with a vase. There were books lying all over the floor and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse I noticed something. Something on the wall, the wall that the thud had to of come from because....a dark liquid seeped out of at rather large crack.

My legs begin to feel like noodles as I ponder what it is.

"Mar-" I try to say out of a choke. I look around the apartment, but my eyes stop on a body; A limp body on the ground. I choke at the sight of the blood and then my eyes start to burn when I realize....it's Mark.

I fall to my knees and pull him into my lap. He's motionless. The sight of him this way made me sick. His eyes closed, blood seeping down his face from a gash in his head. I never could imagine that the fun and joyful Mark could be in this state.

My heart sinks at the thought that maybe he's....no stupid. He's not. He can't be.

I place my ear to his chest. Nothing. I listen closer. The wait kills me on the inside; waiting for that miracle of a heart beat as a sign of life. Then...pum pum it goes, so faintly.

I take a breath of relief and scramble for the home phone. I pick it up and dial the number.

"911, what's your emergency-" but before I can say anything the phone is snatched from me and everything goes black. The only thing I can hear is the sound of dragging and the confused "hello?'s" coming from the telephone.