Chapter 1

Carly was enrolled in College where she lived. In New York. It was fall and cold. Nyu had a great literature program. And the history department was amazing. That's the major on her schedule. History and literature. She wanted to learn about Greek history and that was what she was going to do. Never Mind that she was very keen on this. She lived in a one bedroom apartment living off money saved from when she was about 9 for twelve years each week, she put back $20 from allowance. And working at a book store. She had one cat that came to her one day, from nowhere.

In New York the apartments allowed animals. She kept the brown and tan Siamese. She named her Macy. Weird name for a cat but she liked it. The problem now was getting to class on time. She had to take the bus across town. She hadn't bought her a car yet and was still saving for one.

She wasn't your typical girl. She was blue eyes blonde hair about 5'5 and was very lonely. She talked to no one unless she was spoken too. You could say she was a loner. She was sweet, kind, caring but most importantly, gifted with power. That power would need to be controlled.

"Oh no no, I'm going to be late for history again," Carly said to Macy slipping her black high tops over her skinny jeans. She was wearing all dark clothes, dark jeans, a dark t-shirt with a skull on the front, and dark leather jacket.

She grabbed her bag, running out of the apartment building. It was a normal apartment, one bedroom, one bath, a living area, and a kitchen. The kitchen was big enough to have a small two person table by the far right wall. A small stove, and a skinny fridge was all it would hold. There were four cabinets on the top and two at the bottom and four drawers for utensils.  The living room had her 28' flat screen on a small stand, a full size love seat and a recliner chair, both brown. Her bedroom was a master. She had a queen bed, a full size dresser with six drawers and a 32' plastered on the wall. Plus a closet. The bathroom was not big but enough for at least two people to stand in. It had a regular size walk in shower/bath. A sink and toilet. And a couple cabinets down below the sink.

She ran off the bus, in a hurry. She hated being late. But classes started at 11am and she didn't wake up until 10:40. And it took 15 minutes to get across town. This sucked for her. Because it took her 10 minutes to get dressed and feed Macy. She was going to be at least 10 minutes late.

She rushed to her locker, yes she had to pay for it, and grabbed her history book. The history teacher was also her literature teacher. His name was Chase Danford. He had dirty blonde hair and was about 27-28 years old. He was handsome. And she never paid attention.

"Miss Watson, you missed my ten minute speech on tardiness," Chase said chuckling as she came in. She sighed at him.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Danford I overslept, again," she pleaded. He sighed and gave a nod.

She took her seat in the middle row of chairs. It was like a small auditorium. There were rows of seats on each level. She was in the third row back.

His lecture was on ancient power. One she could relate to. And he noticed her interest. He knew something about power himself. After all, he had them to. But in Greek mythology no one believed power remained anymore. Carly knew better and so did her professor.

"Carly," he said. She was paying no attention. Instead she was reading from an old book she got from her store. Greek mythology and ancient power.

"Yes Mr. Danford," she spoked clearing her voice. He stood in silence. Only for a second.

"The object of this lecture was for you to learn something, not to be distracted by that book you're reading," he said. She wondered how he knew she was reading. She had his it from him. That was his gift he could see beyond things.

"I-I'm sorry sir," she said closing the book and putting it on her desk. Everyone was looking at her. There was one guy, Braxton Tyler, he threw a piece of rolled up paper at her. She ignored it.

"Who can tell me the name of the woman who was stoned to death for having in-human abilities," he asked. That was easy. No one answered him so she answered it for him.

"Victoria Harrison, in 1839, in Jamestown," she said. He was actually surprised at how much information she had spoke.

"Good Carly," he said as he placed his marker down. The bell rang causing him to jump. He had no intention to let her walk out just yet.

"Miss Watson if you'd be so kind as to stay after for a moment," he spoke. She nodded and came down from her seat stepping in front of him.

"Miss Watson-"

"Carly sir," she interrupted.  He grinned and gave her a nod.

"Carly, would you be interested in the after school mythology book club," he asked. She arched her eyebrows at him.

"There's a club for that," she asked. He nodded.

"Yes, we've o my two students yet, but we just started this maybe three or four days ago, I believe you'd find it to your liking," he said. She thought about it for a moment. She didn't want to stay after, because of work. The store opened at 10am and closed at 9pm, and she worked everyday from 2-9. But she could make time.

"Sure I'll check with my boss and see what days I can get off and if you'll tell me the days you have I'll request them days," she smiled. He smiled too.

"Wonderful, we have it, Tuesday's and Friday's from 2-5. It's basically discussions about a book we read, it will be given to you sometime this week," he said. She nodded at him and realized that, he had the most kind personality.

If she was going to be friends with anyone it would be her professor.