Chapter 9

At 2pm on the dot everyone met at the book store. Carly showed them to the tables in the lobby area. There was, two stories, the first was downstairs in the lobby, it had a couch, bean bag chairs and a sofa. And tables. The second the place where they sell books.

"This is so far fetch," one of the girls, with black hair, said. Her name was Sylvia Dillard. Sam nodded in approval but she didn't want his approval.

"This is so cute," the other girl with light brown hair said. Her name was Kali Morris. The only other guy was a boy named Brock Johnson. He had dark hair.

"This is a great place to have our book club, thanks for letting us use it Carly," Chase said. She smiled and nodded. He continued to glance at her. Sam noticed. But he would t say anything.

"Okay, chapter 1- this chapter refers to something known as 'Ancestral phenomenons." He said. He asked if anyone knew what they meant.

"Sam," he asked. He shook his head.

"What about Brock," he shook his head as well. He asked Sylvia but she didn't know either. He asked Kali she guessed but guessed wrong.

"It's the high and low points of our ancestors from biblical times to the 20th century," Carly spoke. Chase smiled at her.

"Good Carly," he said, "now, who can tell me in what era did witch hunting begin."

"The 15th century," Sam said. He got it right. Carly was surprised knowing he was a duck in the pond. He rarely listened in class.

"Okay, so in chapter one we learned what these things did for us, how they changed history," Chase spoke. Everyone was listening. Especially Carly. She loved magic and knew it was dangerous but she didn't care. Chase seen her interest and began asking her about certain events.

"Carly, can you tell us when the very first witch hunt began and who the witch was," Chase asked her. She knew this one by heart.

"They originated in Egypt. The laws were brought over by a man known as Celcius, and when the laws were passed by generations, each generation had no problem except for the 17th century when three witches were condemned of witchcraft, three sisters, Lorali, Lavenna, and Lestayna, three witches. Before that century witch hunts weren't popular," she answered.

"Great, now everyone knows about there heritage I would hope," Chase said. Carly began staring into him as if he'd made the world. What did she see? A man willing to do anything to keep his students safe. A man that would give you the last dime he had. A man that she adored.

*Book club was adjourned for the night. Sam caught up with Sylvia. Brock let with Kali. And of course Chase Walked out with Carly. They were the best of friends. They were like soul partners. Everything he did or said or liked she already knew like he knew her.

"So, do you think you should go back with me or are you okay to go back home," Chase asked her. She thought about it but realized Macy hadn't been fed today.

"I need to get back home to Macy," she said honestly. He nodded. They got in the car and headed towards her house.

She glanced at him from time to time and each time, she realized how wonderful he was. And what she had thought was a snooty teacher was a man that cared for so many people. He understood her and his kids. He knew what they feared. She seen a wonderful projection and that's what she liked about him.

He glanced at her seeing a beautiful caring woman. He knew that she feared deeply to be captured or hunted or to be alone. He seen a star that lost its light because she lost hope. He seen her real self. And that's why he was falling for her. But she didn't know it. He couldn't tell her. He didn't know how.

He pulled up in front of her apartment and put his car in park. She looked at him and grinned. He grinned back. Words couldn't explain the emotions swinging back and forth.

"Well I'll see you in class tomorrow," she said. He nodded.

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow, get some rest and I'm thankful for you letting us use your store for our book club meeting," he said. She nodded.

"I'm thankful to have a friend like you," she said stepping out into the night air.

He watched her as she faded away into her apartment. Then he drove off. He wanted so bad for her to stay another night but he knew she wouldn't. He had just hoped. He was falling for his student and even if it wasn't in the rules, he knew what people would say if they found out.

Carly fed Macy who was actually not to be seen for some reason. But she was about to be seen. She walked into her bedroom. She turned the light on and on her bed laid a figure, a body. A girls body. She was covered in sheets. There was nothing else on her. She was brown headed and about as small as Carly. Who screamed when she seen her. The girl jumped up keeping herself covered.

"Carly, you're here," she said. Carly stepped back. Several times.

"Stay away from me I'll call the police," Carly said. The girl sighed.

"Don't you recognize me at all," the girl spoke. Carly didn't know who she was. She had no idea.

"Carly, it's me, it's Macy."