Chapter 5 - Severe Avoidance

The next few days at school I completely avoid Alex. Every time I see him I duck behind someone or head in the opposite direction. My friends notice this strange behaviour and ask about it. I respond by saying we disagreed over something.Which is sort of true. We disagreed over wether I had feelings for him. I disagreed with myself over that. But I try not to think about it.

On Thursday I open my locker to find Nathan with a sticky note on his head. It reads: Srry about the locker babysitter. Had to give him to you somehow. We will talk in class. xx

I don't know how to feel about this. Part of me wants to talk about it but the other part wants to ignore him forever. Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss him. During geography, Maya and I chat about Alex.

"So your not talking. Is this the start of a divorce?" She asks me, doodling on her book. "Look I just can't get along with him. Ughh! He's so infuriating!" Maya pats my back. "Babe calm down. He's just an idiot. When the assignments over you'll be free of him!" I smile and nod but feel a pang.

Will we stop hanging out and being friends? I don't want that. He's good to be around, makes me feel happy. When I get mums care worker is still there. She bustles around making casserole. "Hi miss Tyrell. Smells good. Are you staying for dinner?" She comes over quicky and pecks me on the cheek before returning to her work. "Afraid I can't. You better keep a close eye on your mamma. She been a little unwell." I nod as she gathers her things. "Will do. See you later." I say. As I wait for the dinner to cook I decide to call Will. We haven't talked as much lately and it's not fair that I spend more time with another guy.

He picks up after 5 rings. "Hello?" He says, thickly.

"Hey Will it's me."

"Oh Tina hey."

"Whats happening?"

"Just some hard running what about you?"

I sigh. "Have my hands full with this baby project and mums a little sick. I need a rest. Wanna come over tommorow night?"

"Yeah ok that sounds good, as long as I'm not busy. Hey I've got to go but I'll see you tommorow." He says.

"See you tommorow." I reply but hes already hung up.

The night is spent with Margaret playing with Nathan. She's highly intrigued by him but I decide to cut playtime short when he starts crying. Friday arrives and the prospect of seeing Alex makes me nervous, excited and angry. I'm happy to see him but how will he react. Oh well I just hope he's going to be easy to work with. I walk into Early Childhood with Nathan in my arms. Phew, no ones here yet. I pull out my phone and pretend to be texting when he walks in. He's dressed differently today, more nicely than usual.

I pretend to not notice him when he leans and and whispers in my ear. His lips tickle. "Haven't seen you round wifey." He says. I shiver but push him away. "Hi Alex." I say stiffly. We spend the lesson working on a baby log and barely speaking. It's not the right place to talk anyway. When the bell rings I rush out, leaving Nathan on the desk without a second glance. Hopefully Alex will get the message.

Feeling tired I decide to just order pizza for dinner. Will won't complain. He turns up just before the pizza boy comes. I'm hoping he'll pay something for the dinner but he justs flops on the couch. Dinner is awkwardly quiet as we have trouble to hold a conversation. Everything we talk about dies out. We move to the couch at 8 and he tells me about training. Yay this is so interesting. Not. I tune out. "Hey babe are you listening." I look up at him. "Aww sorry I'm sorta out of it right now." He touches some of my hair. "That's ok we could do something else."