C.15~ Death Valley

"You think Davis is abused?" My brother repeated, it sounded weird hearing it from someone else. I nodded, staring down at my fingers as I tapped them on the kitchen table.

"And what do you think you're going to do about it?" He questioned, his eyes dancing with an emotion I couldn't quite place.

"I don't know. I. . . Darren, I saw the scars on his back. Scars he couldn't have put there himself. I heard the way his dad spoke to him." Darren sighed, rubbing his face.

"Rosalie, I want you to stay away from that house, okay? If his dad is. . . abusive, I don't want you over there."

"But Britt. . ." I trailed off as it finally sunk in. If Asher is abused, that means that there's a chance that Britt is too, right?

"I don't care, Roaslie. In all honesty, it's none of our business. The only thing we can do is report it to CPS, which probably wouldn't be a good idea. Jacob would find some way to turn it around and they'd come to us and see how Dad is. I'm sorry, Rosie." I stared into my brother's eyes, trying to break him down, but he didn't budge. Finally I gave up and walked toward the door.

"Where are you going, Rosalie? It's Saturday."

"I'm going out." Is all I replied. I couldn't tell him where I was really going because I knew for a fact he wouldn't let me go.

*

"Hey." I said quietly as I took a seat in the dirt. The gray tombstone stared back at me, my mom's name sprawled across it as well as her birth and death date.

"I know you told us to take care of Dad, and I wish I could tell you he was better." I whispered. My dad had already started to go off the deep end before my mom actually died. He had known that she wasn't going to make it, he had known better then his twelve year old daughter and eighteen year old son.

"He keeps getting worse, Mom. He came out of the room for the first time in years to talk to me about a week ago. I. . . he looked at me as if I were God or something." I wrapped my arms around my self, cold despite the warm front that had come in.

"Darren's making me go to the doctor. He's worried that I'm going to get the cancer, Mom. It's not fair that he has to worry about that. He has a girlfriend for the first time in years, he's happy. He shouldn't have to worry about me." I blinked the tears out of my eyes.

"I. . . I've been fighting with Britt. I remember what you used to say," I laughed, "You used to say that Britt was the child that didn't come out of you. You said she was my twin sister. B. . . but she's mad at me now, Mom. She hates me because I've been hanging out with Asher Davis." I stretched my legs out and wrapped my arms around them.

"He. . . he's Jacob's son, and apparently Britt's half brother. I made up this ridiculous game to try and get him to fall in love with me so I could break his heart. But I. . . I don't know if I want to hurt him anymore, Mom. I had always just seen him as the jerk that broke all the girls hearts, the man-whore who used girls and tossed them aside. I never saw the guy that was actually kind of funny. I never got close enough to see the way his blue eyes sometimes looked like they had green flecks in them. Mom, he's not really that bad." I went on, shaking my bangs out of my eyes.

"Everything is strange now. Britt won't talk to me because of Asher. I think she's cheating on Stark. And I don't know how the hell I feel about Asher Davis. I thought I had this whole idea planned out so well. I thought he was just a self-absorbed, egotistical, sexist jerk. I never realized that he had another side to him, that he had to keep up a front to impress everyone." I shut my eyes.

"Should I go on with the game, Mom? He told me that I can't fix something that's already broken, but what if I'm broken too? Does that make it different?" I reached forward and touched the cold stone, my lips quivering.

"What do I do, Mom? What do I do?"

**

"You look lonely." I dropped the spoon in my hand to find Asher standing in front of me. He had his phone in his hand, but his eyes were on me.

"I'm fine, thank you very much." I snapped, poking at my frozen yogurt with my spoon.

"Really? Britt only eats ice cream when she's upset or uptight." I glared at him as he sat down across from me.

"It's none of your business, okay?" I finally growled. He cocked an eyebrow and laid his phone on the table.

"Rosalie, it's not good to keep things bottled up." I laughed coldly.

"This coming from the guy who only has one friend." I felt a little bad about what I said, especially when his eyes grew dark, as if he were masking what he was really feeling.

"I don't like people very much, Rosalie. They tend to get on my nerves."

"Yeah, well you get on mine." He leaned back in his booth, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Is that so? Because I think you enjoy my company. You just don't want to admit it to yourself." I shook my head.

"In your dreams, Asher. The only reason I'm spending time with you is so I can make you fall in love with me and you can stop being such a douche to everyone in school." He tapped his index finger against the black screen of his phone.

"You keep telling yourself that, Rosalie. It'll make it easier for you to deny your feelings for me." He said, cockily. I scowled.

"The only feelings I have for you are disgust and awe. The awe only because I can't even begin to understand why you would treat girls the way you do. Did one screw you that bad?" It was his turn to make a face.

"Shut up, Hunter. Obviously some guy screwed you over pretty bad considering you've never had a boyfriend and you don't care to have one."

"I want a boyfriend," I shot back, "I just haven't found anyone that can deal with my shitty life yet." I almost threw my hand over my mouth in regret. Why did I just say that aloud?

"Oh." I said about a second later, finally understanding Asher freaking Davis. Is that why he slept with so many girls? So he could find the right one?

"Is. . . is that why you go through so many girls? Why don't you try and get to know them?" I questioned, he did what he usually did, he shrugged.

"No girl ever wants too. All you girls see me as this sexy mysterious Bad Boy, you see me as desirable. Most girls just want me to sleep with them so they can brag about it. None of them stick around long enough to get to know me, so I don't try either." I stared at him in bewilderment.

Was he lying to me? Was that the real reason why he went through girls the way he did?

"So what am I to you?" I asked, looking at him through my eye lashes. He was smiling, not smirking, but a full on normal smile.

"I don't know. No girl has ever attempted to get to know me, it's strange." I sighed, propping my head up on my hand.

"My game isn't working, then. I guess I should just give up." Asher laughed, shaking his head.

"No, no. Don't be a quitter, Rosalie." He stood up, smiling as he backed away, "It's one of the things I like best about you. No matter how hard life pushes you down, you always find a way to get back up again." I smiled. Oh my god, Asher Davis had just made me smile.

"Friends. We can be friends until this little game is over and you fall in love with me." He said, acting like his arrogant self again. I nodded to myself, making sure he saw me roll my eyes.

"Yeah," I said, "Friends."

***AN*** 

Hope you enjoyed!

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24