C.21~ Alone Together

"I look like a Barbie doll." I groaned, turning around to face Britt. She rolled her eyes and poked my nose with the make-up sponge.

"No, you look good. Barbie's wish they looked as good as you do." I slapped her arm playfully and headed toward the door. It had been a strange and quiet week. Asher had gone back to school, but he didn't act like the same person. He was quiet, he sat with Britt and me instead of Stark who seemed to be engulfed in Lisett's crowd, and he didn't really talk all that much.

"Are you thinking about Asher again?" Britt sighed. I shook my head, tugging at the short red dress that hugged me tightly.

"No."

"Liar." She shook her head, not believing a word I said.

"Rosie, I told you to stop this. You can't do this to yourself, or Asher. It's for the best if you stay friends, I promise." I brushed passed her and out of the room, not wanting to continue the conversation.

"Wow." My brother and I said at the same time. He was sitting on the couch with Alice, watching a movie. They had turned to look at me while I stared blankly at my dad on the loveseat. He stood up when I walked in, his eyes on the dress I was wearing.

"That. . . that was your mothers." He stuttered.

"Yes, Dad. I know." I replied. He stood frozen in front of the couch, still staring at me in horror.

"Is. . . are you going on a date with Jacob's son?" I shook my head.

"No, Dad. I. . . I'll be back in a couple hours." Britt followed me to the door, waving at my dad and Darren.

"Be careful, Rosie," Darren said from the couch, "I'm trusting you will be back by ten this time." I saluted my brother as I stepped out of the house.

"Yes, sir!"

***

I sat in the booth for a half hour before I decided that I had been stood up. In all honesty, it didn't really surprise me. Alexi had flirted with Britt while I was in the room, after we had just made out. He was a jerk, he was probably even worse then Asher.

"He stood you up, eh?" I looked up in surprise. Asher stood in front of me, his backpack still slung over his shoulder. I shrugged, not wanting to respond.

"Go away, Asher. I just want to be alone." He grinned.

"So do I. Maybe we can be alone together." I shook my head, spinning my straw in the cup of water.

"Rosie, you aren't seriously going to cry over the jerk, are you?" I shrugged again, still not looking up.

"It's not him." I admitted.

"I. . . I just. . . am I not worth it? Am I so bad that you can't even show up to say that you have to go?" My voice cracked and I wanted to slap myself. Asher didn't need to see me crying. He and Britt already had enough crap to deal with.

"Rosalie, maybe he's sick. Don't think it's your fault." I kept my head down as I shook my head once again.

"I. . . it's not just him. It's like no one ever cares enough, Asher. My dad won't even come out of the room because he can't stand to see me. I can't even go to Prom next month because I'm a loser with no boyfriend and apparently no life." I finally looked up, expecting to see Asher smirking or looking amused. But the boy sitting in front of me didn't seem like the same Asher Davis that had been walking around like he was the king of the world only a month ago,

"Let's go." He grunted, standing up. I could feel my eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"What? Where?" He gave me one of his trademark Asher smirks.

"You'll see."

***

"Asher, why are we in front of a church?" I questioned, glancing at the beautiful building in front of us. He grabbed my arm and pulled me toward the church.

"My parents were married here. This is where I got baptized." He said as we approached the white doors. He held it open for me and I walked in, thanking him.

"Asher! My boy!" I jumped at the voice. A middle aged man was walking toward us, grinning.

My eyes drifted away from him and to the glass that lined the walls around us, letting light bleed through.

"Henry." Asher was smiling as the man approached. He was probably in his mid to late forties. His dark blonde hair making his brown eyes look dark, almost black. He took my hand almost immediately and kissed the top of it, smiling.

"And who is this beautiful young girl?" He asked. I blushed.

"This is Rosalie." The priest stood back up, cocking his head to the side.

"So this is the famous Rosalie you talk about. You're right, she is much prettier in person." He joked, grabbing Asher's shoulder and squeezing it. Asher rolled his eyes and turned to me.

"I didn't say that so don't flatter yourself." I smiled. It was actually kind of nice to see Asher back to his old self for a few minutes.

"Why so dressed up? You don't plan for me to marry you two, do you?" We all laughed.

"No. Rosie was on a date and got stood up." The priest turned to me and nodded.

"God has a plan for everyone, Rosalie. I hope that you will soon find out what yours may be." Then he gave Asher one last nod and walked down the the isle between the sets of pews that lined both sides of the church. Asher grabbed my hand again and dragged me up the isle and to the altar, smiling.

"It's so beautiful in here." He whispered, finally looking back at me. I returned his smile.

"It is." I agreed.

"Sometimes when I feel like crap I'll come here and talk to my mom. I know it makes me sound crazy, but I feel like she's here with me." I felt cold at his words.

"It's not crazy. I. . . sometimes I feel like my mom is with me too. When I feel scared or alone, I feel like she's there beside me to tell me to keep moving." He nodded and looked behind him at the piano. He darted over to it, looking like a child in a candy store. I watched as his hands slipped over the piano and he slowly started playing.

"That's beautiful, Asher. I didn't know you could play." He chuckled.

"Nobody does. My mom used to bring me here and teach me how to play." He said, still playing. I walked over and sat on the stool beside him, watching his fingers move gracefully over the keys. After a minute he stopped.

"You try." I snorted.

"I can't even play a tune on a flute." He shook his head and grabbed my hands, positioning them on the piano.

"Everyone tells you that you should read the song, study it. But my mom would always say you need to feel the music, feel as if it's part of you." He stood up so he was leaning over me, his hands still resting on top of mine as he taught me how to play. I smiled once I was able to play a few notes by myself and turned to him. His face was only inches from mine, his eyes burning into my own. I wanted him to kiss me, I wanted him to lean forward and. . .

What am I saying? This is Asher Davis! The jerk bad boy that uses girls like they're nothing.

But it's not, another part of my mind shot back, this is the real Asher Davis. The person that was behind all of the lies so no one could see how broken he was.

"We should go." He finally said, pulling away quickly. I nodded in agreement, standing up. As we walked off the altar I was sure of one thing.

I liked Asher Davis.

***AN***

Hope you enjoyed. I promise their will be more action in the next few chapters. 

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24