C.16~ I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth

"I can't believe you got us stuck here." I grumbled, wrapping my arms around myself as I glared across the alley at Asher. He was smiling sheepishly at me, wiping his bleeding nose every few minutes.

"How was I supposed to know that Bryan was going to do this? Don't blame me. You had just as much to do with this as I did." He replied, crossing the alley so he was beside me, looking a little too comfortable.

"I had nothing to do with this! You don't remember this morning?" He shook his head, yawning.

"Why don't you enlighten me on how exactly this whole thing is my fault." I smiled, wiping my hands on my torn and dirty jeans.

"I'd be glad too."

**

8 hours earlier

"Rosalie, are you even listening?" Britt snapped, waving her hand in front of my face. I nodded quickly, not wanting her to get mad at me. Not after we had just started talking again.

"Yeah, you were talking about your date with Stark yesterday." I replied, hoping that it had really been what she was talking about.

"Hmm, yeah. So Asher told me you know." I knew what she was talking about, she didn't have to specify.

"Why did you keep it from me, Britt?" She looked away from me and at the poster of Ed Sheeren on my wall.

"I. . . I didn't want anyone to know, Rosie. It wasn't just you. I never wanted to be thrown into a house with Asher and that ass I have to call my father. Especially after my mom died and. . ." She broke off, bringing her hand up to wipe the tears from her eyes. I hadn't see her cry since that day at the assembly a month ago.

"I'm sorry, Rose. I should have told you. But after Asher spread all those rumors about me. . . I couldn't. I knew you liked him and I. . ."

"Wow, wait. Back up there. I never liked Asher." She laughed, poking my arm.

"Right. You don't think I remember every Valentine's Day in elementary school and how you ignored everyone else but made sure to give him and Stark one." She wiggled her eyebrows.

"You thought he was amazing, that he was cute. How do you not remember this? Do you have like amnesia or something?" No, I wanted to tell her, that was around the time my mom died. I really didn't remember a lot back then except for trying to help her.

"You still have feelings for him too, don't you?" She gasped, pointing at me, "You do! That's why you helped him that day. And why you chose him over me. You still like Asher!"

"I know Jacob beats him." The smile fell from my best friend's face.

"Does he hurt you too?" I asked her. She shook her head no, but didn't say a word.

"Brittney. You know you can tell me anything. We're sisters." I squeezed her arm.

"He tried to a few times when he was hammered. Asher," She took a deep breath, "He would usually take the blows for me. Maybe he was trying to show me he was sorry for ruining my life in sixth grade. But he. . . he shouldn't have had to do that." I nodded, feeling my own eyes stinging with tears.

I had been so obsessed with how bad my life was that I was a horrible friend, I didn't see how much Britt was hurting, how much she needed me back then.

"I'm rarely there anymore, though. Stark makes me stay over at his house most of the time. He offers for Asher to stay too, but hey, you know Asher. He can be a stubborn douche." I cracked a smile at her words.