I: In Which She Almost Jumps

CHAPTER ONE

First world problems: dead battery, tangled earphones, no wifi. 

Third world problems: finding food to eat, poverty, lack of education.

My problem: Trying not to kill myself.

It's pathetic, really. There are people out there with more problems than I have, and yet I feel like my life is ending.

As I walk, the cool breeze of the bridge touches my skin. The cars pass around me, oblivious to the internal struggle of my mind. The water below is calm underneath the waves. To everyone else this situation would seem sort of relaxing in a way but my mind travels a million miles a minute.

Deciding to stop at this specific section of the bridge, I take a moment to graze my hand over the rusting metal. Messages line the walls with several heart spoken words.

Don't give up. We love you.

This is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

There's another way. There is always another way.

A salted tear runs down my cheek and falls onto one of the messages. I desperately want to believe the messages, to know that they are real but I know the truth.

I'm all alone.

Thoughts keep racing in my head, making me ponder what would happen if I just took the big leap. It would all be over. My pain, my suffering, my existence.

I'm at the Golden Gate Bridge; the second most suicide used bridge in the world. Thousands of people have died from the fall, wanting to escape from their lives.

I don't want to be one of them.

Taking a step backwards, I don't realize that I've been tackled to the ground when I see the face of a boy on top of me. I push him off of me and breathe, my chest hurting from the sudden pressure. He looks frantic, apparently trying to take control of the situation.

"You were going to jump!"

My surprise overwhelms me for a second and I'm at a loss for words.

"No, I wasn't. Do you always tackle people when you see them?"

I stand up from my current position and look at him in the eye. He is breathing heavily, probably trying to control his adrenaline. When he doesn't answer me I turn to leave.

"But you were crying."

I halt, subconsciously wiping the remaining tears from my cheeks. I have always been an obvious crier, especially considering that my face would turn red when I let out a single tear.

He spoke softly coming closer, "Did someone close to you die here?"

Wondering why he thought that I shook my head and replied, "It's none of your business. Look, I understand you wanting to try and help me but I don't want or need help from anyone, especially not from a stranger I met at a suicide bridge."

With that, I turned around and slowly started to walk back home. He didn't stop me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- I just want to thank everyone for checking out my new story. I wrote this when I was really upset and such a great work came out of it so I decided to continue it. This will probably be the last author's note I have until the end because I want the story to have more of an impact. In other news:

If you or your loved ones are having suicidal thoughts please know that there are people who could help you. If you live in the US or Canada call the suicide prevention hotline which is 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The link for help in other countries can be found here: https://support.wattpad.com/hc/en-us/articles/200774284-Counseling-and-Prevention-Resources (link will be in inline comment as well)

If you feel like you are scared to talk to someone on the phone because of anxiety or other issues (trust me, I know) then you can always P.M me. I will always respond even if it will take a couple of hours.

I love you all and sorry for this long ass authors note. I'll see you in the next update.