X: In Which They Become Friends

CHAPTER TEN

It isn't that I don't want to make friends. No, that isn't it at all. I try to be a social person, but after years of getting rejected and ridiculed, I sort of gave up. So when someone actually didn't mind me being around them, even when I treated them like dog crap, I knew I had to take the chance.

Since the lunch line is really long and the food is expensive, most students prefer to eat outside. Not having enough money, I'm forced to get the free option in the cafeteria. I'm pretty sure someone did a news article about how they thought the meat was horse. The claim was taken away pretty quickly so I never did find out whether it's true or not.

I look around the cafeteria for the familiar face in the crowd of people. When I spot the mop of sandy brown hair, I stalk towards his table. Making sure one more time that it's really Noah, I sat down on the table with my food.

Since he was texting on his phone he didn't notice it was me. Thinking I was someone else, he says, "It always takes you so long to get food, Aphrodite. Was the line really that long?"

"Yes, it was," I mutter a reply before taking a bite of my salad.

Recognizing the voice, Noah lifts his head and utters a small smile. "Hey."

"Hi," I respond before I continue to look at him. Was I supposed to say something else? I didn't really know what to do in this situation.

"Were you expecting someone?" I decide to say.

"Yeah, my girlfriend Aphrodite, is supposed to get us lunch. She's taking her time, though." He huffs in agitation and looks at the line. He must really be hungry.

"Oh." Feeling awkward now, I rub my hand against my shoulder. Did this count as an intrusion?

He apparently saw my look of hesitation because he then replies, "You could stay if you want. Didi won't mind."

"Didi?"

"That's her nickname. She hates being named after the goddess of love. I call her by her real name every now and then, to piss her off."

"That's cool." I didn't know if my response is a question or statement. Not noticing my apparent awkwardness, Noah took out a notebook and started studying for an upcoming exam. After a couple of minutes, a girl arrives at the table with two trays of food.

She looks at me for a couple of seconds before looking at Noah. He gives her a nod and she looks back at me. With a smile on her face, she put down one of the trays and extends her hand. "Hi, I'm Didi. It's nice to meet you."

Didi's beautiful. Her dark hand came in contact with my pale one and we shook hands. Her braids flowed elegantly down her shoulders and stopped at her stomach. Putting my hands back to my sides I say, "It's nice to meet you too. I'm Kate."

Noah took the tray from her hand and started eating. After swallowing a bite of his mystery meat sandwich he finally spoke, "Next time I'm getting lunch for us. You take too long."

"You're the one that wanted a sandwich! They had to make that from scratch. So unappreciative. Men these days." She scoffed and turned the other way when Noah tried to apologize and kiss her. I could tell she was faking, though, by the small smile that threatened to escape her lips.

"When did you guys meet?"

Noah's the one to speak this time, "She lives right next to me. My mom forced me to show our new neighbor around town when she first moved in. I still remember the day when I took her to the park. Didi nearly fainted when she saw a squirrel."

Didi frowns at the memory and argues, "It's not my fault that there aren't any squirrels in Haiti. That thing scared me half to death."

"Everything scares you half you death. Remember the time-"

"If you share one more embarrassing story, I swear I will drown you in your sleep."

At that, Noah shut up and did a locking motion with his fingers. Satisfied, Didi started to eat her own lunch.

"I think that I have you in my A.P Biology class, Kate. You sit in the front, right?"

It's then that I remember that we actually are in the same class. She sits in the middle with her group of friends and I sit in the back corner where no one could see me. I'm surprised she remembers.

"Yeah, I do."

We all eat in silence for the rest of the period until the bell rings. I offer to throw all of our trays but Didi refuses and takes everything. Packing up my stuff, Noah takes the opportunity to say, "Thanks for sitting with us today."

Not looking at him in the eye, I respond, "No problem. I didn't feel like eating alone today."

"See you here tomorrow?" He asks.

"Yeah. Tomorrow." Waving him goodbye, I leave the cafeteria and go to my next class.

Looks like I made a new friend. Or maybe two.

END OF PART ONE.