XXV: In Which She Has A New Home

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE 

I stand in front of the mirror, seeing how I look in the clothes that Aphrodite lent me. They're a bit smaller than my actual size, but it's still comfortable to be in.

"Aren't you excited, Kate? You're finally leaving this dreaded hospital today. I can't wait to show you your room." Her enthusiasm shows as she can't get rid of the smile on her face and adjusts the red shirt so it looks better.

I can't seem to generate the same enthusiasm as her about leaving the hospital. Giving her a small smile, I walk back to my bed and pack the rest of my things in a small bag.

"Did I say something wrong?" She asks when she finally notices my discomfort. I shake my head to let her know it's not her. It isn't anyone. I'm scared. I don't know what's going to happen when I leave the safe walls of this hospital. Will I be safe?

Didi gives me a side hug, a little too tight for my liking, but she soon lets go. "You don't have to be worried. This will never happen again."

I glance at her and while her smile is reassuring, I don't believe her.

"You don't know that."

Her smile falters slightly but it returns, expect this time, there's a sad look in her eye. Noah comes in then, knocking on the door once before entering.

"We can go now, I parked the car out front."

Didi leaves first, taking my bags for me and giving Noah a kiss before heading to the car. As I'm about to leave my room, I take one last glance, garnering Noah's attention.

"Did you leave something?"

"No. I'm just nervous. I felt safe here, as boring as it was. I don't know what it's gonna be like when I leave the hospital."

He puts his arm around my shoulder and guides me out. We notice Didi a few feet in front of us, but we don't say anything.

"It's not going to be the same. It might take a while for things to start feeling normal again, but that's all right. We can't forget about what happened, but we also shouldn't obsess over it."

His answer varied considerably from Didi. While she said some optimistic answer that might've not been true, Noah gave more of a realistic answer. I nod, understanding what he said and open the car door.

I sit in the back while Aphrodite sits in the front alongside Noah. He turns on the music to a random pop station but lowers the volume enough so it's a quiet background music. The question continues to dig at the back of my mind so I ask, "Didi, are you sure your parents are okay with me staying at your house?"

She turns back and replies, "Of course they are! When I told them about you, they didn't hesitate for a second to let you come stay with us."

The way she says it makes me think that they're pitying me but I don't let the words stay in my head. I'm not going to destroy a good thing. Playing with my thumbs the whole ride, we stop at Didi's house around twenty minutes later.

I offer to take my own bags, but she doesn't let me and carries them over to her house. Opening the door, she sets them down on the floor and calls her mom. A minute later, a woman comes down the stairs and greets us. She's just as beautiful as Aphrodite, her hair is styled in an afro and she wears her pajamas, making me think that I woke her up.

I wave shyly, and I notice that Didi has the same smile as her mom, warm and inviting.

"Kate! Good to meet you." Her mom speaks in slightly broken english but I don't notice it as I give her a handshake. It must be unexpected for her because she stares at my hand for a second before finally accepting my greeting.

After a few exchanged words, Didi shows me to my new room. It's fairly small, with purple painted walls and a desk. There's a twin size bed in a corner and a pine bookshelf next to the wall. Even though it's small, it's so much better than my old room knowing now that I won't have to lock the door at night.

"Do you like it?" Didi asks in an apprehensive voice by the way her tone is pitched by the end of the question.

"It's great," I respond, exasperated. "I can't thank you enough."

Before Aphrodite has the chance to respond, Noah says, "Tomorrow, Didi and I will go to your old house and get your old clothes. You don't have to come with us if you don't want too."

I look at him, silently answering his hidden question. I don't want to go back there. At least not right now.

I take my bags and put them on the floor next to me, "I think I'm going to put my stuff away. I'll see you tomorrow, Noah?"

He nods, taking that as a sign that I want to be alone. He says goodbye and gives Didi a hug before leaving. Aphrodite says she's going to her room and to call her if needed before she disappears as well. Leaving the door slightly closed, I sit on the bed and look at the room.

It's the start of something new.