III: In Which She Gets Bullied

CHAPTER THREE

The sky's bright and the birds are chirping. People passing by my house seem to have a skip in their step today when I suddenly remember that there's dance at my school today. Not that I would ever go to one, social interaction isn't really my thing.

Ignoring the passerby, I put on a dark maroon hoodie and stuff my shoulder length blonde hair into it. Wearing a simple pair of jeans I think that maybe nothing bad might happen today.

Taking my bag, I slowly step out of my locked room forgetting the memories of yesterday, like always, and casually walk out the door. My mother is always  sleeping during this time and won't bother sending me off to school. Not that I mind though, this is one of the few moments where I can get some peace.

My mother doesn't have enough money to pay for a bus since all her government checks are used up to buy alcohol and so the only option I have is to walk to school everyday.

I don't rush to get to school, and slow down my steps in the attempt to prolong my delay to the nasty world that is high school. The places where I would get punched, threats, and verbal insults. It isn't everyone, but it might as well be based on the way no one can seem to help.

The monochrome building stands in front of me, waiting for me to enter. And everyday it wins the battle and slowly sinks me more into the hole that I'm buried in. Eventually no one would be able to get me out.

Sighing, I enter the school to be greeted by stares and snickers from my fellow classmates. I eventually learned to ignore them fully knowing that there isn't use in fighting anymore.

As the minutes goes on, different batches of students arrive, most likely from the train or from the school bus. When the first bell rings, I get up from my uncomfortable cafeteria seat and head for my locker. It's the only place where no one could get in and where I'm sure that no one would invade my privacy. 

Opening my locker, I get my necessary books that I need for my next period and start to get to class.

As I'm walking I noticed a familiar figure in my peripheral vision. Glancing to my side, I see the person that was at the bridge yesterday. He's the one who tried to save me from my suicide attempt even though I wasn't going to jump.

Not just yet.

He's talking to someone, a girl. She's in my AP Biology class, and while we don't talk often she's nice enough. He's laughing at her jokes and I secretly envy them. They always have someone to lean on even though I don't.

I'm about to walk over to class again when I feel myself being pushed against the locker. Everyone suddenly stops talking to their friends and stare at me. It's always the same thing everyday, everyone watches giving me hope that maybe someone will step in, but no one does.

Except one.

The boy is still staring at us, watching what's going to happen. His eyes narrow at Andrew, but he remains in his place. Not wanting to have hope, I tune him out and focus on not having the punches hurt as much.

Andrew loves messing around and making my life a living hell. Little did he know, my life was already hell before he came. He's on the soccer team along with his two friends behind him. He wickedly smiles at me and I knew from that very moment that these punches were going to hurt more.

"Are you going to the dance today?" He whispers in my ear and I shiver when his hot breath reached my neck. I try to push him away but his grip held strong.

Just face it, Kate, no one is going to help so you should at least stop trying.

With my jaw locked I utter the words "no."

His pretends to be sad but in reality I knew he was happy. Happy that the freak without a father wouldn't be there to ruin everyone's day.

"That's too bad. It would've been fun to mess with you there but since you aren't going, I'll just do it here."

Everyone stays silent, desperately trying to block out the noise that I would make when he punches my face and kicked my stomach.

Closing my eyes for the impact I don't notice that there isn't any so I open my eyes. The boy from yesterday has his hand around Andrew and prevented him from making a punch. Slowly backing away, I watch as the boy pushes Andrew and tells everyone to leave. The bell rings at the moment so everyone takes this as an opportunity to escape. Andrew stays put before leaving. I'm surprised for a moment, since he never leaves from possible fights but I'm grateful at the same time.

After everyone leaves, the boy walks up to me and offers me his hand. I'm too shocked to do anything, so I just stay on the floor. No one has helped me before so I don't know whether I should be grateful or annoyed that he could have possibly made things worse.

I'm still quiet and he took that as a sign that I wouldn't stand up so he put his hand away. He gives me a small smile before saying, "you're not alone" and leaving. Confused by his words, I brush them aside and stood up.

Brushing off the dirt on my jeans, I start to head to my next class. Near one of the bulletin boards however I see a sign for group therapy.

Support group for depressed and suicidal teens.
Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:00 PM
38 Canal Street, Woodhaven Bolevard.

Taking one of the flyers, I stuff it in my bag and continue walking.