XII: In Which She Becomes Kit-Kat

CHAPTER TWELVE

I never really brought anyone to my house before. I don't want to see their faces when I show them my run down apartment building and the beer bottles lining the couch everyday. That's why when Noah asked if he could walk me home on Friday afternoon, my face contorted in surprise.

"You want to walk me home?" I repeat again, making sure I hear him correctly.

"Yeah," he answers nonchalantly, "Didi has to tutor someone today and my parents are taking Piper to the park."

"So I'm basically your last choice then?" I say with half offense. For added effect, I put my hands up to my heart dramatically.

"I basically trapped myself; didn't I?"

I nod, trying to think of another topic so he would forget that he asked me. If my mother find out, she'll kill me. Literally. When he repeats the question again however, my mind froze.

"You could say no, you know. I'm not forcing you to do anything."

"It's fine." I say without thinking, "I just have a really messy house."

He looks at me with a sincerely confused expression and asks, "doesn't everyone?"

I laugh at his expression and we leave the school. I'm one or two steps in front of Noah so he could know where exactly I'm going. It's relatively quiet the whole walk there but it's not awkward or anything. He hums to himself and I try to figure out the song but to no avail. Reaching my house, I stop in front of it, causing Noah to bump into my shoulder slightly.

We both stare at my house with different expression. He takes in the overgrown brown grass and the chipping paint on the walls. Our fence began to grow rust years ago so it's a mix of black, red and orange.

I cringe and wait for him to say something. It's then that he nods once and says, "How quaint." Nothing more, nothing less. No expression of disgust or melancholy and I sigh in relief.

"Do you want to come inside?" I ask hesitantly. I don't know if that's the right thing to do in this situation. Do people usually just say goodbye now? Having friends is confusing.

"Sure, if you want."

Is that a yes or no? Taking that as a yes, I tell him that I'll be right back. Going inside quickly, I grab all the alcoholic beverages and put it in the kitchen. Throwing away any stray papers, I adjust the pillows on the couch and let him in. It isn't much better than before but it's a start. I'm just glad that my mother wasn't here.

We both stand in front of the door, with Noah moving the sole of his foot back and forth. He looks around until he finally settles on a door on the far right corner.

"Is that your room?"

"Yep."

"Cool cool."

Not knowing what to do, I go to my room quickly and open one of my drawers. I take out a box of Kit-Kats and start opening a package. Noah was leaning against my door, awkwardly waiting for some sort of order.

"Do you want one?" I hand one out for him and he takes it gratefully.

"You have actually have a box of Kit-Kats in your drawer?"

I could feel my cheeks become warm at his question. Now he probably thinks I'm a binge eater. "It's my favorite snack." I reply simply.

He chuckles as he bites into the chocolate. I cringe as he chews. He's supposed to take a piece apart then eat it. Doesn't he watch those Kit-Kat commercials?

"Kate likes Kit-Kats." He quietly mumbles, a look of amusement still on his face.

"What did you say?" Not quite hearing his words, I ask.

"Nothing Kit-Kat."

I notice my laptop on top of my bed and I squeal in delightment when I see that all the photos from my camera finished processing. I look over the photos and put them in a folder for my project.

"These pictures are amazing." I hear Noah say from behind me. "Are you gonna enter these into the competition?"

"Yeah," I say sheepishly. "I'm not done with it yet though."

"It still looks amazing." We both look at the photos that I took when I hear the slight sound of a key turning. My eyes immediately widen and I start to panic."

"You have to leave." I tell him.

"Is something wrong?" He seems surprised my sudden statement because he took a step back.

"My mom is here. She can't know you're here. Leave through the window."

I ran over to my window and begin to open it, causing Noah's confused expression to intensify.

"This is crazy. You know that right?"

"Just do it!" I push him to my window and he starts to go through it. Since we are on the first floor, it isn't that much of a fall. I motion my hand for him to leave and he runs away. The last I see of him is his sandy brown hair flowing in the wind.

Quickly putting my laptop and camera on the ground, I sit on my bed, just in time for my mom to enter my room.

"Hi mom. Welcome back." I say, a little out of breath.

"Did you have someone here? I heard voices." Her eyes squinted and I knew I had to be careful. One wrong word would lead to another beating.

"No mom. It was just the outside voices. I remember that you said that I can't invite anyone home."

"Good. Some people will see our house and call the police for abuse and neglect. What lairs people could be."

I laugh softly and agree. She closes the door and I wrap myself in my blanket. Why am I always so careless?