XVI: In Which There is an Act of Kindness

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

I walk to the bathroom slowly, making sure to open and close the door gently when I enter. My fingers press against the metal knob, locking it. A mirror is in front of me and I gaze at it, seeing a bruised face staring back at me.

I slowly touch the swollen area, slightly wincing when I'm met with a shot of pain. This is what happens when you don't finish cleaning the house before mom comes home. Too in shock over what I discovered, I didn't move as she punched me for my laziness. I open the cabinet door, and take out some of her concealer. Feeling bad over what happened, my mom let me stay home from school for a couple of days. She's currently sleeping and if I wake her up, she's going to kill me.

I don't exactly know how to put it on, so I squeeze a little onto my fingers and brush it against the exposed area. Ignoring the pain, I apply it unevenly. The concealer is a shade darker than my actual skintone, so I add a little water to the mix, hoping to the dilute it. It only makes it worse, but I don't have time so I leave it as it is. It makes my face look awkward but it does a good enough job at covering the purple skin.

Grabbing my bag and putting my hoodie over my head, I exit my house and start walking. The cool breeze nips at my exposed skin and I smile, the first time I have been out in days. It's supposed to rain today so most people are carrying umbrellas in their bag or in their hand. My hand instinctively reaches for my bag but when I don't feel the plastic material I let out a groan.

Thankfully, I make it to school without being soaking wet. I put my head down and make it to my locker without anyone noticing me. Turning the lock, I put in my bag and take out the necessary books I need for next period.

The sound of high heels approaches me, and soon enough Aphrodite stands next to my locker, looking at me in worry. I know that she is going to ask me why I've been absent for the past two days, but before she can I ask, "What's with the heels?"

That seems to take her mind of what she was saying before because she looks down and smiles. "I have to go to a speech and debate tournament today. We're competing against Magnolia Preparatory."

"That's cool." I start to walk away, but she puts a hand on my shoulder to stop me. I turn around and she examines my face for my moment. My back stiffens, preparing to say a lie but I don't have too. Her thumb glides over the swollen area on my face and she examens the residue left behind.

"Come with me."

I hesitate, slightly afraid to be late to class, but she drags me along anyway. She opens the door to the bathroom and starts rummaging through her bag while I look at myself in the mirror again. Everyone that was here before left to go to class so we're the only one's in the room.

"Aren't you going to be late?" I say.

"No, I have first free." When she find the item that she's looking for- a bottle on concealer- she puts it to my face to see if it's the right shade.

"Why do you have a bottle on concealer that's eight shades lighter than your skin tone?" The vanilla colored liquid isn't even close in shade to her sepia colored skin. A look of annoyance crosses her face, but it isn't at what I said.

"I ordered makeup off the Maybelline website and they sent me this. I was going to send it back after school but I'll just give it to you."

She starts washing up my old concealer from my face, not asking questions about my black eye.

"Isn't it expensive though? I should pay you back."

"Stop asking questions," Didi chuckles. "It's a gift. You don't have to pay me back. I'll get angry if you do."

I say nothing as she finishes and I look in the mirror at what she did. My face doesn't look awkward anymore, aside from the fact that it's still a little swollen. Unless you look closely, you can't notice anything.

"You should get to class. You don't want to miss anymore than you already did." Didi winks briefly and pushes me out the door. I'm already five minutes late so I don't bother running to class. What's the point in running if you're still late? The teacher reprimands me when I get there but I just take a eat and start my notes.

~*~

I twiddle my thumbs, absentmindedly looking at the posters on the wall. Everyone it's in a circle and someone besides me is speaking. I nod when it's appropriate but I don't listen, too preoccupied with other thoughts.

When everyone finishes speaking, Dr.Jones scans the room. His eyes lands on me and says something, although I can't hear what it is, I'm lost in my mind.

"Kate."

I spring from my seat, becoming embarrassed when everyone looks at me.

"Yes?"

"You okay, there? You seem a little distracted."

"I'm fine." My cheeks become redder at the unwanted attention.

He takes a different approach and asks me about my day. My gaze catches Noah from across the room. The first time that I see him today. He returns the gaze with mild concern but doesn't say anything.

"It's pretty ordinary. I was met with an act of kindness today.I know it seems pretty boring but I don't get those very often. It makes me forget about other things."

"What other things?"

"I don't know. How cruel people would be; bullying, lying about important things. I sound stupid, nevermind." My head is down, not wanting anyone to see the vulnerability in me. I internally scream at myself for not talking about my problems, but I can't find it in me to do so. Dr.Jones takes this as an opportunity to ask people what they might want to forget about, and I'm forgotten about.

Our session ends fifteen minutes later and I grab my bag. I usually wait for Noah outside, where he would take me home, but I feel tired today. Before I have a chance to leave, he catches up to me.

"You okay? You seem a little distant lately." We haven't talked four a couple of days since I was sick and was absent from school.

"I'm fine."

"Fine never means fine." He echoes my words that I said to him before.

Feeling a little bit brave I say, "I know. That's why I said it."

Dr.Jones calls Noah them to help set the chairs up and I take this chance to leave. While I didn't outrightly say anything, I gave a hint. I just hope that's enough.