Chapter 8

Louis pov

Officer Jackson and Officer Knight visited us again a few days later. They brought with them a hunter. We were told to address him by Huntz. I nodded but Harry had other ideas.

"Wait, your name is Huntz?" Harry asked.

"Yes." Huntz said.

"Ha ha! A hunter called Huntz!" Harry shouted.

Ugh! He's such a dork. But he's like a cute dork.

I nudged Harry. "Harry, stop." I whispered.

"Okay." Harry whispered back.

"Huntz will be hunting down the wolves that killed Kelly Gray and Scott Baker. Since the wolves are in your area, we thought we'd inform you of Huntz's presence." Officer Jackson said.

I nodded but inside my head, I'm panicking!

The officers and Huntz left. Harry and I waved to them as they drove off.

"Good luck on your Huntz!" Harry called out.

I pulled him into the house and slammed the door shut. I peeked outside the window to make sure they were actually gone.

"Lou, what's wrong?" Harry asked.

"They're hunting wolves." I said.

"So?"

"They're hunting us."

"I thought we won't die."

"Yeah but they'll find out about us. They'll find out that we're werewolves. We can't go out. We'll get caught."

"What should we do?"

I started to ramble. "I have a cage. We'll have to lock ourselves up. We might go crazy. I'm sorry, Harry. I don't know what else we can do. I know you won't like it but I don't know-"

"Lou, you're losing your chill." Harry interrupted me. I realised that my eyes were wet. "We'll be fine."

I gave him a small smile. I hope he's right.

I went to the back of the house with Harry. I tore off the canvas sheet that was covering the cage. Harry and I lifted it into the house. It barely fit through the door.

"Why do you have this?" Harry asked.

"I tried to lock myself up but my wolf goes insane so I don't use it."

"Okay."

That evening, just before the sun set, Harry and I sat cross-legged, leaning against the cage wall on opposite sides inside the cage. He looked on silently as I put the multi dial combination lock on the door of the cage. It was tight inside the cage since it was meant for a dog and, not two men.

Harry held my hand. He rubbed it comfortingly. I looked at him. He smiled. I smiled back.

We changed into wolves.

Harry wolf pov

I was in a cage. I don't know how I got here. I was in the dark. I can't see any stars. I can't see the moon. The wolf I've been hunting with was in the cage with me. I named him Louis. I don't know where that name came from but it felt right.

Louis wasn't happy about being in the cage. In fact, he's panicking. Louis jumped about, violently throwing himself against the cage walls in attempt to break out. The entire cage was shaking. He stopped pouncing. He gnawed at the grills. It didn't help. All he did was hurt his mouth.

I've been in cages before. Before I went into the forest, I used to stay in a cage. There was this human who would put pieces of meat through the grills of the cage. He would feed me and give me water to drink. On some days, I don't even see the human. I would wake up and find myself lying next to a slab of beef or chicken or something.

I barked at Louis, telling him to calm down but that just stressed him even more. He jumped and kicked at the walls, screaming like a banshee. The cage rattled noisily. Louis jumped onto me. My legs buckled. I cried out in pain. I don't think he intentionally hurt me but he did. It was excruciating.

Louis stopped jumping. All was silent except my sobbing. He nudged me with his snout. I growled at him. Louis backed away, hitting the cage wall.

Louis sat down. He licked my face. I let him. Louis snuggled up to me. He buried his face in my neck. He likes me. I guess I like him too but right now I'm angry at him.

I looked at Louis with hostility. He continued to lick my face. I wept.

Hours have passed. My legs still hurt but now, I'm hungry and thirsty. I thought someone would come to give me something to eat but nobody ever came. Louis was probably hungry too. His stomach growled furiously.

I curled into a corner to nap and distract myself from the hunger.