Chapter 9

Louis pov

I'm human again. I unlocked the cage and let myself out. I stretched out my body. I heard my joints crack.

Harry was sound asleep. Trying not to wake him, I picked him up and carefully shifted him onto the bed.

I took my gun and went outside. I hunted and killed a doe. I dragged her corpse back to the house. By then, it was mid-afternoon. Harry was awake. "What's that for?" He asked pointing at the dead deer that I left on the ground outside the house.

"To eat. We didn't get food at all last night. I say, we eat half and leave the other half for our wolves." I replied. "I'll start a fire. I think I have matches or a lighter around here somewhere."

"You went hunting without me?"

"What? I can't go hunting without you?"

"No, I just thought we were like hunting buddies, you know?"

"You're such a weirdo!" I teased playfully.

"But I'm your weirdo." Harry winked.

I rolled my eyes. I stepped past Harry towards my drawer. I told him to go out and find some wood to start a fire. I search through my drawer. Everything was in a mess. I pushed things out of the way as I dug deeper. There were all sorts of old things that I kept because I thought I might need it someday. That day still hasn't come. I shifted some things out. I finally found the match box at the back of the drawer. I started moving my stuff back into the drawer.

"Hey! I got the firewood." Harry burst in through the door. I jumped, dropping the box that was in my hand. It was the box Harry discovered on the day after we killed Kelly and Scott. It fell open. A ring rolled out of the box onto the floor.

"I got it!" Harry chirped, bending over to pick it up.

"No!" I screeched but Harry was as stubborn as a mule.

"Ouch," He said as his fingers brushed against the ring. He put his fingers in his mouth.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. What is that?"

"Silver." I said. "It can hurt you really badly. Silver does that to werewolves."

I walked over and pulled his hand out of his mouth. I examined his fingers that were coated with saliva. "It's not that bad. It'll probably leave a scar or something."

"Will it go away when I change?"

"No, silver leaves permanent damage. It can even kill you." I said, regretting it instantly. It wasn't a thing I should be saying to Harry, considering he actually tried to kill himself not long ago.

"Why do you have that?" Harry asked.

"I got it before I was a werewolf." I said. I got a piece of cloth and picked up the ring. I dropped the ring back into the box and shoved it back into the drawer.

We went outside. I cut up the deer with a knife. We roasted the meat on sticks over a fire. I wasn't used to cooking. I haven't cooked anything since I was human.

"Why are you so protective over the ring?" Harry asked.

"What are you talking about?" I said. My mouth was half-filled with food.

"You didn't want me to open it, I remember."

"You'd have hurt yourself."

"You could've just told me what it was."

I didn't reply.

"Was it your boyfriend's?"

"I didn't have a boyfriend." I snapped. "You're my first boyfriend." I reached over and held his hand. I leaned on his shoulder.

"Was it a girl then?"

"This deer tastes bland. I'm going inside to see if I have salt or pepper."

"Louis, don't change the subject."

I ignored Harry but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

"Why won't you tell me?"

"Maybe I'll tell you some other time. Just not now."

Harry looked like he wanted to yell at me but he held himself back. "Fine."

We finished our food and dragged the uncooked deer body, or what was left of it, into the cage. We got in the cage. I locked the door. I thought the cage was tight yesterday but today it's tighter. I'm basically pressed up against Harry, not that I'm complaining. My back rested against his chest. His legs were bent next to my legs, which were buried in my chest. It sounded romantic but when you think about it, it was quite gross to be sitting next to a corpse.

Harry wolf pov

I woke up in a cage again. I wonder when I'll be out. I smelt something. I looked around.

I wonder when I'll get out. I smelt something. It smells like food.

Ooh, there's food!

Louis had already started digging in. I sniffed at the food. It was deer meat but it didn't smell the same as regular deer meat. It didn't smell fresh and I'm not that hungry anyways. Louis was quite calm today. He didn't really jump about.

The next night, however, Louis was panicking again. I don't know why but he's always panicking in small spaces unless he's given food. There's barely any deer meat left. He's lost interest in it. Louis wanted to run. He wanted to hunt. I know because he told me. Louis howled loudly. It could probably be heard miles away.

Hours have passed. Louis was still slamming his body against the grills. Does he not get tired? Even if he's not, I am and I haven't even done much of anything. All I did was sit and watch Louis fail at trying to break open this cage. I closed my eyes.