Chapter 16

Louis pov

I heard a whistle, followed by Niall calling my name. I hopped off the low branch I was on. How did I even get up here? Wolves don't climb trees very well.

I thanked Niall for rescuing us as we walked to find the others.

"How'd you know where we were?" I asked.

Niall explained, "Someone left the police a hint on where you might be. Since Eleanor is the only one in WOLF who knew the forest well, I figured it might be her so I went to her old place after escaping the police."

"Did you say Eleanor?"

"Yeah..."

"Isn't her name Tina?"

"It said "Eleanor" on her registration form. Perhaps she changed it after."

We found Zayn and Liam together. Eventually, we found Harry who dozed off next to the half-eaten corpse of a baby deer.

"Where can we go now?" Liam asked.

"We should just leave." Zayn said.

"What?" Liam asked, discombobulated.

"I've had enough of this mess," Zayn said firmly. "I've done my part to help you, Harry, but I can't do this anymore. I don't want to run. I want to go home."

Zayn started to leave. Liam followed him like a dog with his owner.

"Zayn, come back." Harry called out.

"No!" His voice echoed loudly.

"Did you hear that?" A voice said, in the distance. "Jackson, this way."

"You guys, just run. Save yourselves." I instructed. "Harry, come on."

I grabbed Harry's wrist. We took off, not caring about the rest of the boys. I heard footsteps, behind me.

An image popped into my head from when I chased down my first animal as a wolf. The once-vague memory appeared crystal-clear. The feeling in my paws as they hit the ground as I ran was vivid. Adrenaline washed over me as I sprinted. My claw scratched the animal and blood seeped underneath my nails. I remember the feeling of pride and victory when I caught my prey. Now, I'm the prey.

My calf was scratched by a branch that protruded outwards from a shrub. An awful sound escaped my lips.

My mind brought me back to when I killed Kelly Gray. The taste of her blood filled me with sinful pleasure. I'm a monster. I knew that. I'm reminded every night.

Harry tripped slightly on a creeper but quickly regained his balance. I didn't look back to see but I heard more footsteps, implying that more people were chasing us. We were cornered at the edge of a cliff. Down below, sharp rocks pointed at us, like pitchforks, waiting to pierce through out skin. The ground was hundreds of meters away. I heard the splashing of water, like an applause to make fun of our plight.

Nine police officers surrounded us. Nine guns were aimed at us. Nine fingers on triggers, waiting to blow our brains out. Harry and I put out arms up. A helicopter juddered above, waiting to collect us for our death row.

Perhaps, this wasn't so bad. I can finally face the music of my actions. If the law discovers what I am, they'll put me down like any other wild animal. I'll find peace in death. No more hiding. No more running. No more Harry.

"No more Harry." The thought reverberated through my mind. My heart sank as realisation overwhelmed me.

I don't want Harry to die. He's my baby. I love Harry. I can't let him get killed.

I pulled Harry towards me. His warm lips pressed on mine as he melted into the kiss. My finger lightly brushed through his hair. "I love you," I moaned into his mouth.

My palms pressed to his chest. I watched as we grew further apart.

A tear ran down my cheek.