Chapter Six// Riley

+++

"Scary, but necessary."

--Zoe Vaughn

+++

"And, just as Noah and I were about to, you know--" Riley chuckled. I made a sour face, and looked down at my knees. "You mean, before you were about to deflower a young boy... while I was in the store... yeah, I know." I chuckled nervously. "I still don't know why you were in there." Riley huffed. "I thought we were going to do our scene thingy, but Noah didn't show, and Audrey dropped me off there, and I didn't know... stuff was going on in there." I swallowed, and shook my head.

We didn't go to the police station. Riley texted all her friends, Jake, Will, Brooke, and Emma, and asked them to meet us at the cafe. Of course, they did. I'd begged Riley countless times to go to the police. This had to do with Nina.

"Anyways, Tyler finally texted back. He wants our help." Riley continued. "And you just left the little dude hanging? Harsh." Jake frowned. "Jake." Will scolded. "Bigger issues."

"Wait, did you text him back?" Emma asked. "Yes." Riley replied. "He said he didn't do it, but he's afraid that no one's going to believe him." She explained. "I don't believe him. I told him to turn himself in." Brooke chimed in. "Wait, he texted you too?"

"Same time as Riley. He's probably suffering from psycho killer's remorse." Brooke whispered. "Guys, I don't think this is Tyler." Emma leaned in. Everyone looked to her. I frowned. "What?" I questioned. "It was from his number."

"It's not him." Emma assured me. "Someone has been calling and harrassing me." Emma explained. My eyes widened, and I leaned back into the couch beside Riley. "Is that what was going on in the alley the other night?" Will asked. Emma nodded, "he's playing games with me. He sent you that text pretending to be me. Well, I'm pretty sure he's doing the same thing again."

"Why would some weirdo pretend to be Tyler on us?" Brooke asked. "It's hard to explain. But I promise, you cannot trust him." Emma said. "Em, I have no idea who's screwing with you, but I know Tyler. He's afraid and we need to hear him out." God, this chick is stupid, I thought to myself. "Riley, we need to go to the police." Emma said. "So he can get shot like Brandon James?" Riley spat. "Riles, I love you, I do. But Tyler might have killed Nina." Brooke said. "I mean, I don't know Tyler, but I agree with Emma." I raised my hand a little. Jake smirked at me. "See? Arielle gets it." Jake said. "I vote cops." Brooke raised her hand also. Jake nodded, followed by Will. Riley scoffed, then stood up. "If they hurt him, it's on you." Riley then stormed towards the entrance of the cafe. "Riley!" Emma called. Brooke grabbed her purse, and walked towards where I was sitting, leaning down to grab my hand, and pulling me with her and Emma, leaving Jake and Will.

Riley, Emma, Brooke, and I sat in the police station, side by side. Just waiting. I still didn't know why I was here. I didn't even know Tyler. But I did know Nina. I loved Nina. "Emma." A blonde women came out from around the corner, looking scared. "Sheriff Hudson called me. I'm your mom." The women huffed. "So we checked phone records." Sheriff Hudson told us. He sighed, "these texts were sent from Tyler's account."

"I told you." Riley smiled, standing up, with Brooke and I following her lead. "Wait, are you sure? Couldn't someone else have used his phone?" Emma asked. "It's possible. But I think this is our one shot to bring him in." Hudson said. "Text him back. Tell him to meet up. Someplace public, but where he feels comfortable. Like, the park on route 9." He suggested. "That's specific." I scoffed. They all looked at me. "Sorry." I whispered, looking down at my feet. "I don't know about this. I don't wanna lie." Riley crossed her arms. "Riley, I would do it. I would. But Tyler knows I would totally set him up." Brooke shook her head. "You, on the other hand, are an angel." Brooke rubbed her back. "I know you feel like you're betraying your friend. But if he's innocent, this is his chance to prove it. This is his only chance." Sheriff Hudson walked away.