Chapter Twenty-Five// Disconnected.

+++

"No, please don't kill me, Mr. Ghostface -- I wanna be in the sequel."

--Tatum Riley

+++

"Nope!" I was swept off of my feet when a police officer grabbed my waist. "Ugh! You don't get it! I have to get out of here!" I thrashed against him. "Not happening, young lady." I grumbled as he plopped me back down. "Come on." Noah grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the officer. "What's happening?"

"I don't know. Maybe Emma does." Noah pulled me in the direction of Emma, who was approaching her mother. "Emma!" I called to her. She turned and saw us. She waved us over. "Mom, what's going on?"

"Seth Branson escaped." Maggie said hurriedly. I looked at Noah in surprise. "There's an officer dead on the scene."

"Holy shit." I whispered. "They think the crime scene looks staged." Maggie looked at all of us again. "Stay here, okay?"

"No, Mom, I'm coming with you!" Emma protested. "You're safer here with all these deputies." After that, Emma didn't argue. "Maggie, wait!" I called after her. "Arielle, what are you doing?" Noah grabbed my arm. "I'm getting out of here so I can warn Audrey and Brooke." I whispered to him. "What, Arielle--"

"I'll call you when I find them." Emma's mom turned back and I rushed towards her. "I should come with you." I said. "What? No. Arielle--"

"I'm your assistant, please let me help? I can help." I told her. Maggie sighed and watched my face. "Come on." She said finally. "Arielle?!" I turned my head to see Noah. "I'm sorry!" I called back. He watched me with terror on his face.

---

Maggie allowed me to stop by my house to change into some normal clothes. And it seemed as if everything were in the laundry, so I grabbed my flowery, short dress that my step-mom, Amber had gotten me for Christmas. I'd sworn I'd never wear it, well, because I hated Amber, as she was the twenty-seven-year-old slut, who'd broken up my parent's marriage. I'd paired the dress with my flats. I took the crown off of my head, along with all the bobby pins that held my hair together, and left my hair out naturally. I noticed that my mother wasn't home. She was probably working. Thinking of her, I thought of Katherine, whom I'd left at the dance. But... there were people there to protect her, right? Of course. A bunch of deputies. She was safe.

Holy fuck! I thought to myself. The dead body of the poor police officer was gruesome. He had a pocket knife shoved into his chest, and there was blood EVERYWHERE. And food, too. I guess he was coming in here to feed him, and this happened. The officer's arms were tied above his head, as if Branson tied him.... and then killed him. Which, in my opinion, was unnecessary. "Arielle, move his chin." I didn't argue, I tiptoed towards the body, moving in the spots where there wasn't blood. With my gloves on, I tilted the police officer's chin slightly, helping Ms. Duval. She took pictures of the police officer as I did. I pulled away and tried to hold myself together. "That's enough, Arielle. You can take a break." Maggie looked at my sympathetically. I slipped past the other officers who watched her. I leaned my head against the wall, taking my gloves off and throwing them in the trash beside me. I grabbed my phone and began to text Noah.

Me:

Lots of blood. Branson's definitely the killer...

It was weird. Noah usually texted me back. I texted him again and waited.

Me:

Are you okay?

I was being crazy. I just saw him. I shouldn't have been that worried. I began to text Emma, asking her where she was.