Chapter Ten// Oops.

+++

"Whoever did this is trying to control us and it might be a game to him but to us is life or death!"

--Audrey Jensen

+++

"What were you thinking?!" Emma's mother shouted. "Yeah, what were you thinking?!" Sheriff repeated. Emma, Audrey, Noah, and I sat on the sofa in the sheriff's office. Emma was playing with her fingers, and sitting hunched over, tapping her feet. Audrey sat in the middle of Emma and Noah, her arms crossed, and she sank into the sofa. Noah sat slumped, looking bored. And I sat next to Noah, my leg outstretched, as a paramedic attended to my stitches, that came undone when I was running. "Every piece of evidence in that hospital is potentially inadmissible because of you!" Sheriff yelled. I winced, as the lady at my feet began to stitch me back together. I grabbed Noah's leg, and squeezed. "Sorry." I quickly took my hand away. "It's okay." Noah grabbed my hand. "How did you even know we were there?" Emma asked. "Anonymous tip." Hudson said quickly. Emma looked at all of us, and raised an eyebrow. "Someone saw you guys breaking in. We swept that place a week ago looking for Tyler. There was nothing... So why were you there?" He shouted. We all remained quiet. "A package arrived at the house." Emma began. "The 1994 Lancers yearbook. He cut out people's faces, he wrote things."

"Oh, my God, Emma." Her mother said softly. "Why didn't you come straight here?" Sheriff asked. "Because the last time I came here, it didn't end that well!" Emma snapped. "Hey, that's not fair." Emma's mother leaned down in front of her. "Mom, none of this is fair."

"Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"To try and stop more people from dying." Emma looked up at the sheriff. "I said I didn't think it was Tyler. No one believed me."

"But you believe us now, right?"Audrey piped up. "Considering his head's in that hospital, and his body is in the car... yeah."

"Glad we cleared that up." Noah whispered, moving to get up. "All done." The sweet lady at my feet smiled up at me. I nodded, and smiled back at her. "Thank you." The women took her medical supplies, and smiled at everyone, before leaving. "Sit down!" The sheriff yelled at Noah. "And, what were you thinking?" He looked at me. I was taken aback. "Wh--?"

"Going into that hospital with an injury like that. You could've ended up just like--" The sheriff cut himself off. I stared at him in disbelief. "I'm perfectly fine." I whispered, crossing my arms. "Audrey, I'm gonna need your camera." He pointed at her. "Now, all of you, get out of here. Go home. And, do me a favor. Any further contact, you call me immediately." We all stood up. "Get outta here." He said once more. He didn't have to tell me twice.

Noah, Audrey, and I stormed into the comic book store. I quickly grabbed my phone from the front counter, before rushing towards the couch in front of all the TV's, where Noah and Audrey sat. Noah and Audrey swiped everything off of the coffee table, and placed Noah's laptop on it. Audrey placed the SD card in Noah's palm. "Withholding from the police. Naughty, naughty." Noah tsk-ed. I smiled at Audrey beside me, and she smirked. "You know me." Noah put the SD card into the laptop, and waited. "Let's see what we got here." On the three screens in front of us, the laptop's screen was on all three. "Aw, crap. We ejected the card too soon. There's no content." Noah did some more typing. "Wait, hold on. We got one." Noah clicked on something, and then another box popped up. "Now, we need a password. What's something Nina would use?"

"Try "thunderbitch"." Audrey snorted. I rolled my eyes. "Sorry." She uttered to me. Noah still typed it in. WRONG. "Too obvious." Audrey sighed. "I can get around it." Noah smirked. "That was just an amuse-bouche."

Noah did some more typing, more boxes popping up. "Oh, my God." I watched in awe. "You know, you almost make this look cool." Audrey admitted. "Yeah, well, we are cooking. We are cooking with gas." Noah said. "And there it went." Audrey shook her head. Then a picture came up. Blurry. "We're in." Noah smiled. "You're a jedi!" Audrey complimented. "What is it?' I asked. "Uh, it looks like a video file." Noah answered. Noah, Audrey, and I all looked up at the big screens, as the video began to play. "Are you sure?" The boy on the video said. "Oh, my God." Audrey and I said in unison. On the video there was a girl and guy sitting on a bed, discarding each other's clothing. "It's Emma and Will." Audrey whispered. "Whoa." Noah's mouth opened wide. "Turn it off!" I shouted. "Now, Noah, turn it off!" Audrey chimed in. "Yeah, yeah!" Noah grabbed Audrey's hands that were all over his keyboard. "I'm trying, I'm trying!" Noah yelled. I watched them fight over the keyboard, biting my fingernails. Another box on the screen popped up. This time, it said UPLOADING. "Uploading? Uploading where?" I screeched, nudging Audrey. "Uh, it's a hidden executable, I can't stop it. The file's just been shared with a listserv."

"WHAT LISTSERV?!" Audrey yelled. That's when my phone chimed. Along with Noah's and Audrey's. My eyes widened. I grabbed it, and looked at the text I had just gotten. "Oh, my God!" I swallowed hard. "You guys just sent out porn!" I screeched. "What?!" They both grabbed their phones, and looked at their texts. "Emma is going to kill us."

xxx

"Oh, my God. Emma's sex tape was sent to everyone in Lakewood." Rosie laughed. "It's not funny. It was an accident." I tried not laugh along with her.

"Oh, please. She's probably loving all this attention." My sister, Kat scoffed. "You remember Nina talking about her? Always saying that Emma needed to be taken down a peg?" Kat took a bite of her ice cream. "Nina was always jealous of Emma, Katherine." I shook my head. "Emma's a kind person. She didn't deserve this." I defended my friend. "Well, whoever sent this out, thought she did." Rosie sighed. Katherine sat down on my floor, in front of her charger, and ate her ice cream. Rosie sat on my bed with me, and texted Jaymee-- or was it Jaclynn? I didn't know. My phone chimed. Unknown.

I stood from my bed, and walked to my bedroom door. "I'll be right back." I told them. I stepped out into the hallway, and answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Hello, Arielle." My heart dropped. "What do you want?" I spat. "Ooh, so much sass. You should be thanking me."

"Thanking you? For what? Nearly killing me?" He chuckled. "You're lucky I didn't."
"Oh, I'm lucky now?" I scoffed. "Extremely." That's when I heard the doorbell ring. "Better go get that." With that, he hung up. I groaned, and put my phone in my sweater pocket, before running down the stairs, towards the front door. I slowly neared it. I opened the door carefully. I saw no one. Nothing. I rolled my eyes. I looked down, and saw a small yellow package. I bent down to pick it up, feeling it up.

I scoffed, and and opened it up. There was a... sonogram. I looked at the picture closely. There was a baby in the there... nope, wait. There were two. I frowned, and then looked at the name on the sonogram. T. Patterson.