Broken

~in college. Rhett POV~

Warning: may be sad!

I wandered around, a beer in my hand and the loud repetitive disco music filling my ears.

"This party is stupid" I grumbled to myself as I made my way to an empty chair.

Link was somewhere, as was our friend Greg but I had no clue where to even look.

As I sat down in the vacant chair surrounded by empty cans and bottles, pizza boxes, people's belongings, etc. a girl came up to me.

She was pretty. About my age, maybe a year younger. Brown hair down past her shoulders, short jean shorts, a tight long sleeve striped shirt and cowboy boots.

"Wanna dance?" She asked.

I could barely hear what she was saying over the obnoxious music but I made it out by reading her lips.

"Uhm, sorry, no thanks" I said.

She gave me a dirty look and walked away.

It was true. I didn't want to dance. I just wanted a nice night in with link like we planned. Movies, pizza, drinks and no sleep. Like the good ol' days. But Greg insisted we come to this party with him. I just wanted to be with link. My best friend. The love of my life.

Yeah, that's right. I love link. Boy, do I. He's everything to me. I love being with him and just having him by my side. It's been this way since high school but you're crazy if you think I would ever tell him. It pained me but I just couldn't.

I got up to find link. Maybe he would want to head out early or something.

I walked through the kitchen crowded with bodies that were sweating and heating up the area. I finally made it to the hallway and walked down slowly. I walked past one room and opened the door. It was just a group of girls talking. I apologized and closed the door.

I did the same with the next door. Putting my ear to it and slowly opening the door. What I uncovered behind this door though disheveled every thought in my mind.

I swung the door open to see a Link and some random girl sitting on the bed kissing.

They broke apart and links eyes locked with mine. His sweet blue eyes hardened and anger swept across his face.

"What are you doing!?" He said harshly.

"Lin-" he cut me off.

"Rhett get out!" He shouted.

I was stunned. I didn't want to stand there looking at the love of my life with some random chick but I was frozen.

He got up and came my way.

"I'm serious. leave." He said a little quieter but just as harsh.

Without a word I stepped out and closed the door, again concealing the hidden couple in the bedroom behind me.

I rushed back down the hallway. Away from the man I love with some chick.

Somewhere along the way I had lost my beer so I stopped in the kitchen. Too many people were around so I just grabbed a bottle of whatever I saw first and headed out of the kitchen.

I pushed past everyone quickly and finally made my way outside.

It was nice out. Dark. Sky full of stars. Cool air.

I saw some chairs on the back deck which was fortunately vacant and sat down. I took a swig of what I now realized was whisky and set the bottle down by my chair.

I put my elbows on my thighs and my head in my hands.

I let out a long shaky breath. I'm stupid. I'm so stupid.

Why do I feel like this? Yeah I love link but it's not like we're in a relationship. It's not like he's cheating on me with that girl, but it sure does feel like it.

It hurt my heart to see him with someone else. We've both been single for so long that I haven't had to worry about this type of stuff. I just assumed when it felt like the time I would tell Link how I felt and things would fall in to place from there.

God, I'm stupid. Why do I just assume life will be good for me?

At this point hot tears were threatening to spill and I tried but failed to keep them in.

Tears silently fell as i cried. Cried for being ignorant. Cried for assuming link would eventually love me too. Cried for loving link. Cried for myself.

I wiped my eyes, leaving them red and leaving my face blotchy and tear stained.

I grabbed the bottle and took a long drink.

The warmth filling my belly and making me feel a little better. I invited the feeling and kept drinking until I knew I'd had enough.

I eventually got up out of my chair shakily.

Link flashed through my mind again, filling me with anger.

You know what? I'm gonna go tell him how it is. Tell him I love him. tell him he's being stupid for being with that girl. Tell him I don't give a shit what he thinks.

I crossed the deck slowly and re entered the house. Searching for link but never successfully finding him I decided to call it quits and head home.

I opened the front door and stepped out.

Instantly my eyes were met with links gorgeous ones.

"Oh. Uhm" I said. Frozen for the second time that night.

"Excuse us, we need to get our stuff then leave" he said, glancing to the girl on his arm.

"So, uh. No movie night?"  I asked. Disappointment filling me even though I should've seen it coming.

He scoffed. "No" he said plainly and roughly.

He and the girl pushed past me towards the front door.

"Bye, Link" I said. tears threatening to spill again.

"Goodbye, Rhett" he said as he made eye contact. His eyes almost soft and sweet again.

I let the tears fall as I walked away from my "best friend" who had just ditched a night we had planned for weeks.

I got in my truck and drove home.

That was the last time I ever saw Link Neal.

Was that sad? Or did I totally butcher it? Whatever, sorry for the feels.😉 anyways, thank you guys for supporting me! I absolutely love your comments so please always leave feedback! Enjoy your day.💫