Rest

Hi shipmates,

As you can tell I really didn't know what to call this chapter 😂 sorry this'll be awful to read because I'm too tried to read through it so have fun laughing at all the typos and wanting to rip this book apart because of all the corrections I need to make😄 will edit it tomorrow! Sorry this update is really late too, mock exams have been most important recently. Omg though NYT is literally next week, NEXT WEEK! (Well it's on the 1st but whatever that's practically next week 😂) XD so excited!
Anyways hope you're all enjoying this book so far and also enjoying the heat wave if you're in England (32 degrees here oh ma lord)

See you! Ella X

***
~Chapter 4
-Rose's POV

It's been 3 hours. 3 hours. I mean, how can finding  food take so long? Especially if you're the Doctor. He's been around for so long you would imagine he'd be a expert at hunter gathering....or whatever they call it. My knowledge of GCSE history has dropped since I took my exams, and even then I struggled.
I look out the wide entrance of the cave, and the sky looks like a painting; dark, cloudy, but with white cloud pouring out of it. The rain is coming down heavier than I've ever seen before. I watch for any signs of movement through the heavily falling drops, but there's nothing. The Palm trees are swaying violently in the wind, and the sky looks as if it's seeking revenge from the earlier sun. I hug my knees up to my chest as shelter from the cold, my thoughts overtaking me completely. I'm scared for him. I know he's safe, well...he usually always is safe, but this weather could take down anyone. Feeling worried, I jump up and start pacing the small space of the cave. Should I go out? Maybe...but then surely that would put me in danger. But then what if he's hurt? Or wounded, or...? No, he's not dead. It's only a storm. And after all, he does like to call himself "the oncoming storm". And I magazine if he came back when I've left, he'd be worried too. I'm best to stay here. But just at that moment I see him out the corner of my eye. I swivel round and see a dark figure moving across the beach. I know it's him immediately. He's struggling through the strong wind, lugging a big piece of wood holding what looks like fruits on it. I sigh in relief at just the sight of him. Quickly running out the cave with lol the energy I've got, I run down the rocks and towards him.
"Rose!" He calls through the biting wind  "Get back inside!"
"I can't! I'm helping you now!" I say, and run toward him. He knows there's nothing stopping me, so gives in to my actions. I hold onto the piece of rope, I don't have time to wonder where he found it, and help him hurl the heavy wood up onto the rocks. A piece of fruit rolls off the wood and out to sea, so I go to run and grab it. But the doctor grabs my arm.
"Don't!" He says, and pulls me back toward him. Together we carry the wood the rest of the way up into the cave. Finally, we're sheltered. Carefully we move to the back of the cave and lay down the plank holding the food. I turn round to find the Doctor looking exhausted . He's pale, drenched, and his shirt and trousers have a fair few rips. My heart is full of sympathy as I grab him, and he holds me tightly.
"Doctor, you need to rest, you're so tired" I pull back to look in his eyes "I didn't know where you were - oh god I was scared. And then I thought you'd hurt yourself you were gone so long, and I though you could've-"
"Rose" he says, and places a hand on my shoulder "calm down. I'm here now"
I take a deep breath and just as I pull back I see the slightest wobble in his legs.
"You need to rest" I say.
"I'm fine-'
"Now" I say quickly, and place my arm around him, directing him to the edge of the cave where he can lean against it. He tries to protest but in  he falls down into a sitting position,  defeated.
"How's you find the food?" I ask, sitting down too, also feeling weak in the knees.
"Trees. I climbed two. They're very tall so I gathered all the fruit I could by myself. I got two fish from the shore which were lying there dead, and I managed to get four coconuts..." He takes a breath "for milk. To drink" his breathing is quite heavy. I look at him with concern and his eyes meet mine.
"Doctor, don't tell me you're not okay"
"And same goes for you" he says with a little nod "you're he one who just threw up back there"
"I wouldn't call it just. Y'know, three hours ago" I say with a smile. His eyes light up suddenly.
"Well then, let's eat"
And just like that, his energy is back. He sits up and shuffles over to the wood, pulling closer to us. I help him pull it then we both sit back, admiring the food sat before us.
"What shall we start with?" I ask. The Doctor points to a mango.
"Those"
"Mangos?" I say.
"Yeah" he nods "didn't see any bananas out there though"
"You and your bananas" I smile.
"Good source of potassium" he says with a wink. I feel my heart flutter and to take my mind of...just...him, I pick up the mango.
"How're we gonna cut it?" I ask. The doctor looks around and points of something behind me. I look in the direction of his finger and find a sharp Flint no bigger than the palm of my hand. I pick it up and begin sawing. Soon enough it's done, and there are two halves for us both. We tuck in immediately, and enjoy the fruit we have before us.

***

Later that evening, when we've eaten and rested a bit, the storm has passed. There's still the odd rumble of thunder in the distance, but it passed over quicker than we'd thought. The rain is falling lightly as we sit on the edge of the cave, dangling our feet down to the rocks just below us.
"I should've done something" the Doctor says after a while, looking out at the sea.
"It's not your fault" I say, looking over at him.
"They're all gone, Rose. All of them" he says, not even looking at me, his eyes just focused on the waves of the sea.
"They're in heaven now" I say sadly, looking up at the cloudy sky.
"They'll never see there families again. They'll never go back to there normal lives. The ocean swallowed them, the-"
"Stop" I say, feeling upset by it all. The doctor looks over at me and sees the tears forming in my eyes. I look the other way and pretend not to know he noticed.
"I'm sorry" he swallows "it just...reminds me a bit of Gallifrey"
Surprised he's even mentioned his home planet, I turn to look at him "I know" I say truthfully, and lean my head on his shoulder. He sighs and places his head over mine too.
"Rose..." He starts "earlier...when you said you'd not felt sick like that since..what did you mean?"
I tense underneath him. He just had to bring that up, of course he did. And of course he wouldn't know, he's just curious.
"Nothing, really. I don't even remember"
"You can tell me anything"
"I would tell you if I remembered" I say. Feeling guilty, I quickly change the subject. "Time to sleep I think"