Promises

~Chapter 5
-The Doctor's POV

Little follow up chapter, promise things will get better from here on...I've thought of an ending to this book and it's pretty lethal but I like it so be prepared XD
Ella :) X

***

I know I shouldn't have asked, and now I feel bad for it. Curiosity and concern just takes over me sometimes, and often when I'm with Rose. It's like she's full if stories and secrets I wish I knew, and yet sometimes I get the impression she's haunted by some part of her last like I am with the Time War. So I let her change the subject, and agree it's a good idea to sleep.
"So, how are we gonna do this?" She asks, looking around us.
"Well I guess we just...lie down?"
"Always full of bright ideas" she smirks at me. I take her outstretched hands and we both help eat other up, feeling the exhaustion from earlier. She stumbles as we stand up, and I support her against me. "thanks" she smiles, and pulls away. We walk over to the other end of the cave to protect us from the steadily falling rain, looking for a space we want to sleep. I sigh and lie down on the hard stone floor beneath us, and Rose joins me, but with a fair amount of distance between us. I roll onto my side, and then on my back again, then on my front. I repeat the cycle a few times, trying to find the perfect position, but Rose's cough stops my actions.
"What are you doing?"
"Uhh..getting comfy?" I say innocently. She moves around a bit as well, as if copying my actions.
"Yeah it's not quite my TARDIS bedroom"
I smile sadly at the mention of the TARDIS. Rose is unaware of the strong connection I share with my machine. I've had her for so long, and she was the one who was there for me when friends were gone. And I know it won't be long before her absence will begin to take its toll.
"You okay?" Rose asks, staring at me intently and breaking me out my reverie.
"Fine, fine" I say. She nods, but there's a look on her face as if she doesn't believe me. "Sorry if I scared you earlier...y'know, because I took so long"
"S'fine" she says "Thank you for getting all the food...and thank you for saving me earlier."
"Anytime" I reply. She shifts a bit, as if questioning to move closer, but closes off the thought and stays still. There's a gap of silence where we both just lie there, taking in the events of today.
"Mum will be worried" she says then, her eyes watering slightly.
"You think they'll know, back home?"
"It's bound to be on the news...." She pauses a second, taking a deep breath "mum thinks I'm dead"
"C'mere" I say, and pull Rose towards me, wrapping my arms around her. "We'll get out of here"
"Yeah" she nods against my chest, and I feel her relax beneath me.
"Despite the awful stone floor and little amount of food, we'll be okay"
"I'm just glad we're alive" she whispers. I hug her closer, offering any comfort I can.
"Me too" I say.
"I know you said we'd get out of here...but do you really think we will?" She asks after a while.
"Of course. I promise you I'll take you back home"
"What's a promise if you can't be sure?" She asks quietly.
"I'm always sure, and I'll keep my promise."
"You promised mum after all, and if you break it they'll be many slaps" she laughs shakily.
"Good old Jackie Tyler slap" I laugh. Rose giggles.
"Almost feels as if we're back on the TARDIS. Laughing and..." She trails off.
"And?" I question her further.
"Led like this. We haven't done it since you were...the old you"
I pause for a second "I didn't know if you'd want to..."
"I didn't know if you'd want to...I thought cause you'd changed"
"I was worried to at first. This new body...still getting used to it" I say a little awkwardly.
"Yeah, I've missed it"
"What, the old me?"
"No..well, yeah...but lying like this, I mean" she pauses.
"Me too" I say honestly, a pull her closer aw the sound of the crashing waves out of the cave are gently pulling us into a light sleep.  "Night, Rose"
"Night Doctor" she says drowsily, and closes her eyes. I hold her a while more, and within a matter of minutes we're both pulled into a deep sleep.