Chapter 6 - The Promise

When the morning of the public amputation came, the former Apex, now simply Commander, was preparing for it

When the morning of the public amputation came, the former Apex, now simply Commander, was preparing for it. He was wearing his brand new armor, now more advanced that the one he had before, feeling uncomfortable because of its substantial armoring and the lack of flexibility. Sebastian sighted and reluctantly slipped his new 357. into a holster that was attached to his utility belt. After this, he turned around to face the door of his room, just standing there for a while. He thought about how he ended up there in the first place. He thought about his decreased friends who were now just a distant memory. He thought about (Y/N) and how he missed her company; it was the only true company he had in his life. Slowly, he took the step towards the door of his apartment, putting on his mask and fastening it, his eyes glowing blood-red.

The sunlight was illuminating the area with its brightness as Sebastian walked out the Nexus, accompanied by two union units behind him. Small flakes of snow were falling from the sky. Down on the street were a lot of citizens, some actually celebrating the event, some being completely silent. In front of them stood a woman, bonded into a pole, assumingly being the Resistance leader who would soon get executed. Sebastian felt nauseous, even disgusted about the thing that he was going to do. He hated himself for it, and felt guilty for doing, as said by Dr. Breen, the right thing. But for him, it felt so wrong. There were two sides in this game, and he was in between them, not being able to choose which side to pick by himself.

As Sebastian was walking down the stairs, he was looking at the citizens all the time, like searching for someone. He thought that if he never saw the one he was searching for, this wouldn't be too hard. He wanted to save the one certain from witnessing the horror he was going to perform in front of everyone. But at least she wouldn't recognize that it was him, since the appearance of his armor was distinctive from what she had seen. If she ever knew, her opinion about him would possibly change quite a lot. Being ensured about this, Sebastian stopped at a distance that was good enough for the accuracy of his aiming.

Dr. Breen was witnessing all this from his tower, soon beginning to speak into his microphone. "Dear citizens. This is doctor Wallace Breen, the administrator. Today we are going to witness the amputation of a woman who has put the entire city in danger. She is the Resistance leader, miss Giralda Elder, who on the 5th of October attempted to destroy the peacefulness of our city by ordering her troops to kill anyone who was loyal to the Union. Therefore, to bring no more harm to the humanity and our Union, we have to kill her." The crowd was getting a bit louder by now, their opinions differing. It even started a fight, but was soon stopped by two units that were taking care of the general order of the event. Sebastian didn't really pay much attention to it, just took a short look. But when he was just about to turn his head to see the person who would get executed, he saw a very familiar face in the crowd.

It was (Y/N), who was holding her hands over her mouth, looking so terrified and distressed. Seeing her in that state made him truly regret even coming to this point, and he actually had the thought of escaping for a moment. He felt like a monster. However, Sebastian's intention to flee the situation was stopped when he heard Dr. Breen's voice again. "Commander. Take aim." the administrator said in his monotonous voice into his microphone, observing the unit from his screen. At that moment, Sebastian was sure that he had never felt so horrible before. He was a doctor, and doctors are supposed to heal people, but now he was doing the complete opposite; soon he would kill a helpless human being who was tied to a damn pole. It all felt so ridiculous, and he was the one who committed it. Even if he hesitated it, he reached to take out his 357. from the holster. If he still had his real hand, it would shake violently at this moment. The air inside his mask was getting warm as he was breathing rapidly and trying to get some air. He rose the gun with only his one hand, and aimed towards the woman in front of her. When he felt like he was aiming to the right direction, his right hand was accompanied by the left one, giving support.