Chapter 14 - Schatz

Following Dell’s orders, you two grabbed your stuff, took a shower, and ate after you had finished cleaning the mess up outside. Then you loaded up your APC with the supplies. You were lucky, because everything fit right in. Still, it was hard for you to believe that you two actually had to run from Combine again. It felt like a shadow that followed you wherever you were going. This was the price of breaking free from your miserable life as a citizen under the law of the Universal Union. But anything was better than that, you thought to yourself. And as long as you had Sebastian, your life was in order. Nothing else really mattered to you.

When you two said your goodbyes and wished that you’d be able to see Dell and his friends again, you entered the vehicle. Of course you received some proper coordinates of the White Forest, so you wouldn’t get lost on the way there. While Sebastian drove, you entered the coordinates to the vehicle’s mapping system, which indicated the location on the map. “It’s done.” you said before you pulled your hands back onto your thighs. Sebastian turned his head to see what you did. “Ah, good work, Hase.” he said and looked at you for a little while, “I think we need to spend a night somewhere. If we drive with lights on, we will easily be detected by the Overwatch forces. And it’s nice to take a break before arriving to the White Forest, oder?”

You agreed with a nod, changing the subject quite swiftly. “Sebastian. How do you feel about the fact that we left all those people behind?” you asked him, his eyebrows rising after he heard the question. He looked at you once again, straight into your eyes before he continued to look at the monitor. “I think they took a huge risk when they decided to stay there, Schatz. It’s something I’d never take.”, he told you, his right hand being released from the wheel, soon being placed onto your left hand that was positioned on your thigh, “But how do I feel about it? I feel like I should’ve insisted them to come with us.” You nodded and observed his facial features. “Oh, me too.. I just hope that they’ll come to White Forest as soon as possible. It’s not safe to stay there, now that it’s exposed to the Combine.”

Sebastian’s face saddened quite a bit. “Ja, indeed.” he managed to answer you before a huge silence fell between the two of you. You noticed this and began to wonder what caused a usually quite talkative man to not say a word about the matter. Maybe this made him think about something that made him feel instantly bad about himself? You weren’t sure, since it was sometimes very hard for you to measure others’ emotions due to the loneliness you’ve spent your entire life in. “Are you alright?” you finally asked him before the silence grew bigger. He quickly looked at you again, his face not looking any happier. “Ah? Ja, don’t worry about me, Schatz. This thing only reminds me of one thing I’ve done in the past.” he said, swallowing, “And it didn’t end well, but.. Ahem.” he cleared his throat and turned his face away soon after he had finished the sentence.

Why did he act so strange all the sudden? You decided to leave him away for a little while. After all, his stress levels must’ve skyrocketed during the time he was shooting at people in the morning, and finding out that he managed to keep only himself and a few others alive. Sebastian is a protector, as well as a doctor. This felt like a huge disappointment to him, you assumed. He needed some time to collect himself, and you let him do it. Maybe you yourself needed some time off, too. The haunting noises that those hunters made were still clear in your memory, and you wanted them to dissolve as fast as possible.

It was unclear how many hours you were actually driving, but it felt like an hour. Perhaps it was the fact that you fell asleep unintentionally on the heated seat. You didn’t get your required sleep during the night, so your body decided to cover the debt by shutting down your system. At least this time you had the chance to wake up independently without an interruption. You opened your eyes very slowly, first seeing a pair of lights in the ceiling that blinded you for a second. You covered your orbs with the palm of your hand. Soon after you realized that you weren’t sitting on your seat anymore.