Chapter 12 - Herz Über Kopf

After a few hours of training, you had learned the basics of handling different weapons

After a few hours of training, you had learned the basics of handling different weapons. The operation of the SMG, the .357, and the pistol were now familiar to you, and actually handling a gun wasn't that alien to you anymore. But you still weren't sure if you'd be able to point at anything that lives with your gun. That would be seen in the future, you thought. However, Sebastian was very pleased with all that effort you had put into the training. He told you that you were perfect, but what the German actually meant with you being perfect remained unknown. Your aiming skills still needed some polishing.

When the Sun was setting in the horizon, you wandered outside again. Sebastian had been gone for a few hours, and you had imagined that you'd find him outside, since you searched every corner of the base and couldn't find him anywhere down there. The air had gotten noticeably colder when you stepped out the door, but you didn't mind it at all, even if you were wearing only a gray comfy pullover over a tee, blue jeans, and your standard shoes. You walked to the gate and opened it silently just to prevent making your presence known.

You didn't have to search for him any further as you noticed the German's familiar figure on a long wooden box next to the gate. He was, surprisingly, out of his armor, wearing the outfit that he was wearing in the morning. The sunset illuminated him in the colors of orange and pink, which created shadows on his body, especially on his face. He was looking straight into the sky above and had a picture in his hands. The expression on his face was slightly melancholic. Maybe there was a hint of tears in his eyes, but you weren't able to see that far in detail. Slowly, you began to approach him, hoping that he wanted some company.

He didn't notice you at all until you sat next to him on the box. Sebastian rose his brows and turned to look at you, his expression quite blank at that moment. After his brain processed your identity, a wide smile appeared on his face. "Ah, (Y/N).. You found me." he said in a silent tone of voice. "What are you doing here all alone, Sebastian? I couldn't find you anywhere." you asked him. "I've been here for a while now. I guess I needed some time off, just to think about things." the German answered you before he slipped the photograph into his pocket, apparently focusing solely on you now. "What kind of things?" you answered curiously, noticing that he hid the photograph which was in his hands. Sebastian turned his head to look into the sky, the rays of sunset blinding him for a second. "About my life, to be exact. And the course of it.", he mumbled the sentence out of his mouth, swallowing. "I also thought what could've happened if the incident at Black Mesa never occurred in the first place."

You kept your eyes on Sebastian, listening to him with care. "It's very hard for me to think of the possible outcome, since I've been born into this world. What did you do before this started, exactly?" you asked him in a curious tone. A faint smile appeared on his face again as he heard your question, as if he waited for you to ask it. "I had just graduated from medical school and worked as a doctor in Stuttgart. I was still young, in my twenties, and very ambitious. I happened to meet a foreign woman, who later became my fiancée. We were together for years, but you already know what happened to her, so.. The story didn't end well. Not for my parents, either. People who couldn't meet the standards of the Combine were executed." he sighted after he finished the sentence, "They killed millions. Only the so-called 'normal' ones were accepted, because they were easy to maintain and control, the Combine thought. They killed disabled people, children, and people who were too old at that time."